Get inspired to make a burlap wreath to celebrate the summer holidays. Burlap wreaths are surprisingly easy to make. You can have a beautiful craft completed in just a few hours! The Red, White and Blue Burlap Wreath idea I’m sharing today weaves two different accent ribbons with rustic burlap for a folksy yet fun appearance. The red with white polka dots and blue denim ribbons make it great for celebrating Memorial Day, 4th of July and other patriotic holidays in your home.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, we’ll make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are our own, derived from our personal experience.
Summer is just around the corner, bringing with it a whole host of wonderful patriotic holidays here in the United States. It can be so festive to decorate your home in red, white and blue to celebrate Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day. The burlap wreath idea I’m sharing today mixes rustic burlap and denim with red and white polka dot ribbon for a beautiful craft piece you can hang in your home all summer long.
How to Make a Burlap Wreath
Burlap wreaths are surprisingly easy to make. I can whip one together in just a few hours while I’m watching a movie or catching up on my favorite TV shows. I shared a full tutorial for how to make a burlap wreath on Kenarry last summer and encourage you to check out that post if you want the nitty gritty step-by-step details. You may also enjoy the three ideas I shared for fall burlap wreaths last September.
What you need:
- 1 – 16″ wire wreath (You could also use an 18 inch wire wreath, but I would add at least a few more yards of burlap if you want your wreath to have a fuller appearance like mine.)
- 60 feet of 5″ wide burlap ribbon or garland (20 yards)
- 1 – 18 foot spool of 2″ wide red wired ribbon with white polka dots (6 yards)
- 1 – 18 foot spool of 1″ wide denim wired accent ribbon (6 yards)
- 2 red felt flowers
- Square unfinished wood sign
- Paint brushes
- Red and white acrylic paints
- Painter’s tape
- Blue paint pen
- High temperature glue gun
- Glue sticks
1. Weave the ribbons through the wire wreath. Tie the burlap ribbon and the two accent ribbons to the wire wreath. Gently weave the ribbons in and out of the wreath frame until you’ve gone all the way around it. As you end or add spools, be sure to knot your ends on the wire wreath to keep them in place. See our full tutorial for how to make a burlap wreath for complete step-by-step photos of this process or watch our video tutorial:
2. Paint the sign. I found this unfinished wood sign at Hobby Lobby, but you could get the same effect from any unfinished square or rectangular wood sign. Paint the inside of the wood sign white. You may need to apply a few coats to get complete coverage.
Next, once the white paint is completely dry, use painter’s tape to protect it and create a frame around the edges. Paint the frame red. Again, you will likely need to do a few coats.
When the red is dry, remove the painter’s tape. Use a pencil to lightly write your message on the sign. I chose “Live, Love, Laugh” because I was making this wreath as a raffle prize for our annual Women’s Service Day fundraiser. If you wanted a more patriotic wreath, here are a few suggestions that would fit on a small square sign:
- America the Beautiful
- God Bless America
- Love and Liberty
- Let Freedom Ring
- My Country ’tis of Thee
- Stars and Stripes
- Sweet Land of Liberty
Once you’ve written your message in pencil, trace over it with the blue paint pen. When the sign is dry, tie it to the top of the burlap wreath with denim ribbon.
3. Add the felt flower accents. The red felt flowers I found on clearance at Hobby Lobby are really the highlight of this wreath for me. I just love the way they’re layered and have those tiny little beads. Using a hot glue gun, apply a good amount of glue to the back of the felt flowers one at a time. Add the flowers to the burlap wreath pressing a little of the burlap to the back of the flower to hold it securely in place. Just be careful not to burn your fingers!
4. Hang and enjoy your burlap wreath. To hang the burlap wreath on a wall, you can hang the wire wreath frame directly on a long nail. Or you could add a loop of denim ribbon to the back of the burlap wreath and use that to hang the wreath on your wall. Either way, you now have a beautiful piece of patriotic home decor to celebrate all those red, white and blue holidays this summer!
While you’re here, be sure to check out other ideas for Memorial Day or 4th of July, like Personal Patriotic Pepperoni Pizzas or Spirited Star Waffles. You’ll also find more inspiration on our Red, White and Blue Ideas Board on Pinterest. If you liked this red, white, blue burlap wreath, please share it with your friends or pin it for later: