Happy New Year Kenarry readers! I’m Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen and I’m back to celebrate the new year with you in a healthy edition of Ideas for the Kitchen, a blog series where Carrie and I swap recipes once a month. Since so many of us set goals for a healthier start in the new year, Carrie and I decided to give all of you some lightened up recipes to get started on the right track. Today I’m sharing this Chicken Taco Soup, an easy dinner recipe that’s lighter and tastes good, too!
If you’re looking for Carrie, you can find her over on my blog today where she’s sharing her recipe for Slow Cooker Turkey with Garlic Mashed Cauliflower. She’ll be sharing it here on Kenarry in a couple of weeks, but if you want to go ahead and take a peek, you can visit Belle of the Kitchen to check it out!
Speaking of the new year, how are your resolutions going so far? Did you opt to make a healthy change, whether it’s through food, exercise, or even peace of mind?
I say “peace of mind” because I believe that to be one of the most important components of good health. While making good choices when it comes to food and taking the time to exercise regularly usually get all of the attention, don’t forget to take care of yourself emotionally, too. Make sure to take the time and do a little something for yourself each day. Less stress = better health, and that is my number one goal this year!
Enjoying this simple soup for dinner is a great way to meet your healthful eating goals. It’s full of chicken, veggies, and beans, plus it’s packed with flavor thanks to the taco and ranch seasoning. You can have this on the table quickly too, which is always a plus when it comes to family meals.
Do you have a favorite healthy dinner recipe? Share your ideas with us below! Carrie and I would love to hear what keeps you and your family on track! Happy healthy New Year everyone!
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup diced bell peppers, any color (I used red and yellow)
- 1 pound chicken breasts, chopped into small pieces
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 packet dry ranch dressing seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and cook onions and bell peppers over medium heat until slightly tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add in the chicken, and sprinkle with taco seasoning and ranch seasoning. Stir and cook mixture until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, green chiles, black beans, and corn to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for 10 more minutes to allow flavors to blend. Top with avocado, cheese, and cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
Looking for more healthy recipes? You might like these:
Ashlyn is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer at Belle of the Kitchen. She’s the mama of two precious babies, an army wife, and southern girl at heart. She and her family are currently stationed in Hawaii, so when she’s not making a mess of the kitchen, she and her little ones are outside soaking up the sunshine. She loves to share a balance of healthy recipes, family friendly meals, and plenty of treats to satisfy your sweet tooth.