Whether you’re keen on quinoa or trying it for the first time, this recipe for Creamy Garlic Parmesan Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes is one you’ll love.
If you’re looking for a food with super powers, I’ve found your answer! This Creamy Garlic Parmesan Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes is packed with goodness to enhance your nutritional intake.
How to Make Creamy Garlic Parmesan Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes
Nowadays a quick search on the internet for “quinoa recipes” will give you millions of results. Nevertheless, it’s always fun to experiment with this super grain. I enjoy combining it with different vegetables, sauces and flavors to see what new tasty concoctions result. I recently made a big batch of quinoa in my rice cooker, then added onion, garlic, parmesan and spices. I threw in some sun dried tomatoes to create a new delicious recipe you can enjoy as your main course or as a side dish — Creamy Garlic Parmesan Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes!
What you need:
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Kitchen Tools Needed:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Cooked quinoa
- Grated parmesan
- Onion chopped
- Sun dried tomatoes cut into julienne strips
- Minced Garlic
- Italian seasoning
- Butter or margarine
My friend, Liz, introduced me to quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) for the first time a few years ago. I could hardly believe when she told me how many health benefits there are in such a tiny little grain. In the Forbes article, 7 Benefits of Quinoa: The Supergrain of the Future, Julie Wilcox shares how quinoa includes all nine essential amino acids, is high in protein and contains almost twice as much fiber as other grains. She also mentions quinoa has iron, lysine, magnesium and anti-oxidants. If you haven’t tried quinoa yet, you really ought to add this nutrient rich grain into your diet.
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup of grated parmesan
- 1 Medium Onion chopped
- 3.5 oz packet of sun dried tomatoes cut into julienne strips approximately 1 cup
- 3 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until the onion starts to turn clear.
- Stir in flour.
- Slowly add milk and parmesan.
- Lower the heat and stir continuously until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the pre-cooked quinoa and stir until it’s well coated. Heat thoroughly for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Last add the sun dried tomatoes and continue to cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Serving Suggestions for Creamy Garlic Parmesan Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes has enough protein and essential nutrients it can be enjoyed as your main course. You could add slow cooker shredded chicken for a protein packed dinner. We served it as a side dish with dill tilapia. (Sprinkle the tilapia with salt, pepper, garlic and dill. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.) You could also serve it alongside grilled steak or chicken and your favorite steamed vegetable or salad.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy quinoa? Please comment below and include links to the recipes. We’re always looking for new quinoa ideas.
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
While you’re here, be sure to check out these other delicious side dish recipes on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- Roasted Potato and Onion Wedges: Simply Seasoned Side Dish
- Easy Spaetzle Recipe: How to Make German Egg Noodles
- Easy Mexican Quinoa: A One Pot Recipe
Originally published March 2014. Updated May 2020.