Happy 2014! Over the holidays, I came across the idea of the Right Now Challenge from One Happy Mama to capture the everyday, ordinary RIGHT NOW moments that happen in life. I am a planner by nature, always thinking ahead and processing the next steps to coordinate our lives. While that character trait is useful in many instances, I acknowledge that I sometimes miss the simple endearing moments that occur during a normal day. After reading about the Right Now Challenge, I decided to resolve myself to live in the moment a bit more this year, jotting down those simple moments and sharing them on Kenarry.com as a way to help remember them. I invite you to take part in the Right Now Challenge too!
Right Now Challenge Guidelines
- From One Happy Mama: “During the week, jot down little tidbits about anything going on in your life. It could be your child’s (or children’s) favorite toy, food, song, saying, etc. It could be something funny someone said. It could be some personal goals that you set for yourself or accomplished. It could be places you went. Things you did. Just those little mundane facts about your week that make up your everyday life.”
- “You can blog about them to hold yourself accountable, too!” If you do blog about the Right Now Challenge, please go to One Happy Mama’s website and leave her a comment with a link to YOUR list! If you’re not a blogger, don’t worry; just jotting down the right now moments is enough.
It sounds simple enough, right? I think the biggest challenge will be to find the discipline to actually write down the moments as they occur. I’m excited about this Right Now Challenge and hope you’ll hold me accountable.
The Right Now Challenge: Week 1
- We traveled to Washington over the holidays to visit family. One of the highlights besides Christmas and spending time with family we don’t see often enough was going to Seattle to have lunch at the top of the Space Needle. The restaurant actually rotates while you’re eating so you get a 360 degree gorgeous view of Seattle while you eat.
- At bedtime one night as we were getting ready to say prayers, C1 (our three year old) said to me: “Mommy, will there be any scary sounds tonight?” Me: “No, no sounds to be scared of tonight.” C1: “Let’s pray about that too.”
- We’re blessed to have both sets of our parents healthy and well. We loved watching the boys play with their grandparents over the holidays.
- C2, our one year old, grins from ear to ear and giggles as he crawls everywhere to explore his surroundings. He has one of those smiles that lights up his whole face, but the giggle that goes along with his exploration really puts his cuteness over the top.
- We got together with family to watch the Seattle Seahawks game and celebrated my sister-in-law’s birthday by having hot fudge brownie sundaes during halftime. Later C1 was very concerned as we pulled out of my sister-in-law’s driveway “but WHEN are we going to celebrate auntie’s birthday?!” We explained to him that we did celebrate, but he wasn’t convinced: “But… but, we didn’t have cake and sing to her!!” We almost had to turn back, because in his three year old mind, if there wasn’t cake and singing, there wasn’t a birthday.
- During our holiday travels, we encountered a stomach bug, and are so thankful that it held off until we got back home. Though the stomach bug is a right now moment I’d like to forget this week, it was special to snuggle with C1 in our jammies watching Netflix all day. Now we’re just praying that my husband and C2 don’t get sick!
So those were the tidbits I wanted to capture and remember from week 1. The Right Now Challenge is meant to be straight forward, simple and quick, an easy idea for your home to focus on the present and enjoy the moment. I hope you’ll follow along this year and take part in the Right Now Challenge too.