Love cinnamon and apples? Make these delicious apple coffee cake muffins when you need an easy recipe idea for a breakfast or dessert that tastes like fall.
Fall weather is finally here in Michigan. This means it’s time for pumpkin spice lattes, cozy sweaters and warm apple treats! Today we’ll show you how to make easy apple coffee cake muffins.
If fall had a taste, it would be cinnamon. You can find this common spice in almost all baked goods and specialty coffee drinks this time of year. When it comes to fall desserts, apples and cinnamon go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Chances are you’re here today looking for a new cinnamon apple treat to serve your family, friends and coworkers this season – and you’re in luck! Our friend, Meaghan from Cook. Craft. Love. has brought over the perfect fall treat to share with us today – Apple Coffee Cake Muffins.
When it comes to concocting delicious cinnamon apple treats, Meaghan is a whiz. Just take one look at her Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls, Easy Apple Pie Bites or Healthy Cinnamon Apple Chips and you’ll see what I mean.
Meaghan happens to also live here in the Great Lake State so we get the opportunity to see one another regularly. She told me, “this recipe was inspired by the fall weather that finally descended on Michigan. I used my lemon blueberry muffins as a base and made some tweaks. These are so delicious and they double beautifully if you want to make and freeze a big batch or have some to share with friends or for a bake sale.”
How to Make Apple Coffee Cake Muffins
No time to go apple picking at your local orchard or to visit your favorite farm stand this week? No worries! This easy recipe for apple coffee cake muffins uses apple pie filling so you can bake up a batch of these tasty treats in under an hour.
What you need:
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Cupcake liners
- 12 cup muffin tin
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Flour sifter
- Medium-sized bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Large ice cream scoop
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
For the Muffins
- Salted butter, room temperature
- Vanilla extract
- Cream cheese, room temperature
- Baking powder
- Apple pie filling, chopped
For the Crumb Topping
1. Preheat and prepare.
Preheat your oven. Then separate your cupcake liners and place one liner into each of the cups in your muffin tin. Set the muffin tin aside while you move on to prepare the batter.
2. Mix the batter.
In a large mixing bowl, use your hand mixer or stand mixer to cream together the butter and sugar until it forms a paste. Now add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Then add the vanilla extract.
Next, you’ll add in the cream cheese and beat until well combined. It’s important that your cream cheese is room temperature. Otherwise, it will be clumpy and won’t blend well with the rest of the ingredients. You’ll need to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally with a rubber spatula.
3. Add the dry ingredients and pie filling.
Once the wet ingredients are well mixed, you’ll sift in cinnamon, flour, and baking powder. Mix the batter until it’s combined. Chop the pie filling into smaller apple chunks. Then carefully fold it into the rest of the apple coffee cake muffin batter until the apple pieces are evenly distributed.
4. Mix the crumble for the top of the Apple Coffee Cake Muffins.
Is it just me, or is the crumble the most delicious part of any muffin? For this crumble, you’re going to combine melted butter, flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Stir the crumble together until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
5. Fill the muffin tin.
Fill the muffin tin you lined earlier. You want each cup in the muffin tin to be 3/4 full. Meaghan says she used the largest scoop in this scoop set to make sure all of her muffins were the same size. Then finally top each muffin with the crumble mixture.
6. Bake the Apple Coffee Cake Muffins.
You’ll know the Apple Coffee Cake Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out with only a few crumbs.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Let the Apple Coffee Cake Muffins cool a little. Then serve the muffins warm with a hot cup of coffee or an ice cold glass of milk. Share with your friends and enjoy!
Apple Coffee Cake Muffins
For the Muffins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick salted butter room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup apple pie filling chopped
For the Crumb Topping
- 3 Tbs melted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and add your cupcake liners to a standard 12 cup muffin tin and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until paste forms. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each one and then add the vanilla.
- Add in the cream cheese and beat until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Sift in cinnamon, flour, and baking powder and mix until combined. Fold in the apple pie filling until evenly distributed.
- For the crumble combine melted butter, flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl and stir until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Fill lined muffin tin 3/4 full and top each muffin with 2 Tbs of crumble mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs.
If you enjoyed this recipe for Apple Coffee Cake Muffins, please share it with your friends or pin it for later:
You may also enjoy these apple recipe ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
Originally published November 2018. Updated March 2020.