Learn how to turn a brownie mix into cookies to make an amazing brownie ice cream sandwich recipe for summer. This easy patriotic dessert is the perfect red, white and blue chocolate treat for 4th of July, Memorial Day and Labor Day.
Are you craving refreshing summer treats? Today, you’ll learn how to turn a brownie mix into cookies to make the most delicious brownie ice cream sandwich you’ve ever had! When you add red, white and blue sprinkles this easy dessert idea becomes the perfect patriotic chocolate treat for 4th of July, Memorial Day and Labor Day.
It took spring forever to arrive here in Michigan this year. But hopefully that just means we won’t have to wait as long until summer, right? I can hardly believe Memorial Day is just around the corner. Then the boys will be out of school for the summer and before long it will be time for backyard barbecues, summer potlucks and 4th of July picnics!
The boys and I love making fun food for different events throughout the year. The summer holidays always call for patriotic red, white and blue treats! So this month, my friend, Meaghan from Cook. Craft. Love. is showing us how to make a patriotic brownie ice cream sandwich.
An Ice cream sandwich that tastes like a brownie
“I wanted these to be a mashup of my favorite commercial ice cream sandwich that you buy in a gas station ice cream cooler, where the cookies are as big as your hand, and a chocolate ice cream sandwich like you find in the grocery store” said Meaghan. “The result is a big chewy cookie that tastes like a brownie. Heaven.”
When it comes to easy dessert ideas, Meaghan always wows me. When you’re done making your brownie ice cream sandwich today, you should definitely swing by her blog. While you’re there, check out her Old Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream, her Peppermint Brownie Bark and her amazing collection of 20 Patriotic Desserts if you’re looking for more delicious inspiration!
How to Make a Patriotic Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich
This delicious patriotic brownie ice cream sandwich recipe will make 6-7 sandwiches. So if you’ve got a big group coming over for Memorial Day or 4th of July, you may want to double or triple it! You’ll find a printable recipe card below the instructions if you want to keep this recipe to make brownie ice cream sandwiches throughout the summer.
What you need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Kitchen tools and supplies:
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Cookie scoop or large metal spoon
- Silicone egg mold (optional)
- Plastic wrap
- Glass baking dish
- Sharp knife or large round cookie cutter
- Shallow bowl
All of the ingredients are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. But here is what you’ll need from the grocery store.
- Box brownie mix
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla ice cream
- Patriotic star sprinkles
- Red sprinkles and blue sprinkles
Brownie cookie ice cream sandwich tips
Scroll on down for the detailed instructions. First, here are some tips that will help you make the most amazing ice cream sandwiches.
Use a Stand mixer
After you preheat the oven, you will make the brownie cookies. Meaghan says she “100% recommends that you use a stand mixer or hand mixer for this unless you need to get in your arms workout for the day. It’s a very thick batter!”
Scoop out the cookie dough
Next, you will scoop the brownie batter onto a baking sheet. Make the balls about 1 to 1.5 tablespoon balls.
Meaghan used the 1.5 scoop from this cookie scoop set to make the balls quickly and easily. You want to leave at least 2-3 inches between each cookie.
Leave plenty of room between the cookies
Meaghan suggests that you may want to use a silicone egg mold to force the cookies to rise up instead of out. She says this is especially helpful if you’re making these brownie ice cream sandwiches for kids or want to fit more on the pan to feed a large crowd without having to bake 13 batches.
One brownie mix should make about 12-14 cookies.
After you scoop them out, bake them!
Add red and blue sprinkles
If you want each brownie ice cream sandwich to be a patriotic treat, then add star sprinkles as soon as you remove the baking sheet from the oven. Sprinkle them on each cookie and press down gently to push the sprinkles into the surface while the cookie is still soft. Then allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet.
Prepare the ice cream
In order to make ice cream sandwiches, you have to prepare the ice cream. Put it in a baking dish. Choose how thick you want your sandwiches to be, and put that much ice cream in the baking dish.
Then, all you have to do is slice the ice cream and place it on the cookies.
After you put the softened ice cream in the baking dish, it will take about 15 minutes for it to firm up again.
How to assemble homemade ice cream sandwiches
Assembling your sandwiches is the hardest part of this recipe. But here’s how to do it easily.
1. Cut the ice cream into circles
2. Assemble the ice cream sandwiches
Assemble your brownie ice cream sandwiches. Place the ice cream circles onto the bottom cookies and cover with the top cookies.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze the cookies
Then cover your sandwiches with plastic wrap.
Place the brownie ice cream sandwiches back in the freezer for another 10-15 minutes to firm up again before serving.
Meaghan told me “These are best eaten after sitting in the freezer for a few hours, so I’d suggest making them the morning you want to serve them. It allows the cookie to soften with the ice cream a bit so you can bite it without the ice cream squeezing out the sides. But leaving them overnight has them going mushy.”
What really makes these brownie ice cream sandwiches the perfect patriotic dessert is MORE sprinkles! Pour red and blue sprinkles into a shallow bowl. Then just before serving roll the edges of each brownie ice cream sandwich in the sprinkles. ENJOY!
Patriotic Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat together the brownie mix, eggs, and vegetable oil until well combined using a stand or hand mixer.
- Scoop batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in 1 to 1 1/2 Tbs balls leaving at least 2-3 inches between each cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-9 minutes or until just set.
- If you want to add sprinkles to the top of the cookies, sprinkle them on as soon as they come out of the oven and press down gently to push them into the surface while the cookie is still soft. Then allow the brownie cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- While cookies are cooling, line a baking dish with plastic wrap and spread softened ice cream out to your desired level of thickness, cover with plastic wrap, and pop in the freezer to firm up, about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the ice cream is firm, cut out circles that fit your cookies using a sharp knife or cookie cutter, and assemble your sandwiches.
- Cover your sandwiches with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for another 10-15 minutes to firm up again before serving.
- Add your desired sprinkles to a shallow bowl and just before serving roll the edges of your ice cream sandwich in the sprinkles.
While you’re here be sure to check out these other easy dessert ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- Patriotic Pudding Popsicles: A Fun 4th of July Idea
- Red, White and Blue Layered Jello Cake for 4th of July
- Patriotic Parfaits: Perfectly Simple for Independence Day
- 4th of July Recipes: 14 Red, White and Blue Treat Ideas
If you enjoyed learning how to make a patriotic brownie ice cream sandwich, please share this with your friends or pin it for later:
Originally published May 2018. Updated May 2020.