Chicken Caprese Crackers are an easy appetizer with shredded chicken, mozzarella cheese, tomato and basil drizzled with balsamic vinegar on RITZ® Crackers.
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
What could be easier or more delicious for snacking than to take your favorite topping and put it on a RITZ®? Today, RITZ® has generously sponsored this post so I can share our Chicken Caprese Crackers. This is an easy and delicious appetizer with shredded chicken, mozzarella cheese, tomato and basil drizzled with balsamic vinegar on RITZ® Crackers.
Chicken Caprese Crackers with RITZ®
The summer entertaining season is quickly approaching. During those warm, sunny months, I love caprese salads with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and fresh basil with balsamic vinegar. They’re just so light and refreshing. I thought it would be really fun to take the delicious flavor of a caprese salad and put it on a RITZ® with a little shredded chicken as an appetizer for backyard parties and summer barbecues.
If you’ve been following us here at Kenarry for a while, you know that making fun food is one of my favorite things to do. I especially enjoy making appetizers and delicious recipes to please a crowd.
It’s even better when the recipes are quick and easy like these Chicken Caprese Crackers served on RITZ®. Most of the ingredients are common items you have on hand in your pantry or refrigerator like canned chicken, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes, and mozzarella. If you need to pick up a few items, you can just head to your local Walmart as I did. You’ll find the RITZ® Crackers in the snack aisle.
How to Make Chicken Caprese Crackers
These are super easy to make.
Kitchen Tools Needed
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
- Premium chunk chicken breast or slow cooker shredded chicken
- Yellow mustard
- Garlic Powder
- Mozzarella cheese
8-10 small tomatoes
- Chopped fresh basil
- Balsamic vinegar
- RITZ® Crackers any flavor
Here’s how to make them. Don’t forget to pin this appetizer and snack idea so you can find it again later.
1.) Mix the Mayo and Mustard with the Chicken
To make Chicken Caprese Crackers, you start by mixing a little mayonnaise, mustard and spices with canned chicken. If you don’t care for canned chicken, you could also use my easy recipe for slow cooker shredded chicken. I like to make a batch and freeze it for use whenever cooked chicken is needed in my recipes.
2.) Chop The Basil and Mix with Balsamic Vinegar
Next, you’ll want to wash fresh basil and chop it into small bits. Mix it with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and set aside.
3.) Slice Mozzarella Cheese and Tomatoes
Slice mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. Lay out your RITZ® Crackers and you’re ready to go!
4.) Assemble the Snack Crackers
Begin by spreading a small amount of the chicken mixture on a RITZ® Cracker.
Now layer a slice of mozzarella cheese followed by a slice of tomato. Then drizzle a little balsamic vinegar and basil over the top of the Chicken Caprese Crackers.
Repeat with the remaining RITZ® Crackers until you have enough to entertain your summer party guests.
Chicken Caprese Crackers with RITZ® Crackers
- 2 Small Bowls
- Cutting Board
- Chef's Knife
- 12.5 oz can of premium chunk chicken breast or 1 1/2 cups of slow cooker shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 8-10 small tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 15 RITZ® Crackers any flavor
- Drain the canned chicken and pour into a small bowl. Shred the chicken with a fork.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix together.
- In another small bowl toss together the chopped fresh basil and balsamic vinegar.
- Slice the mozzarella cheese and tomatoes.
- On each RITZ® Cracker, spread a heaping teaspoon of the chicken mixture.
- Layer a slice of mozzarella cheese followed by a slice of tomato.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and basil.
- Serve the Chicken Caprese Crackers immediately and enjoy!
Serving Suggestions for Chicken Caprese Crackers
Based on my experience, here are a few suggestions for making Chicken Caprese Crackers:
- For the Chicken Caprese Crackers, I went with the tried and true original recipe of RITZ® Crackers, but I bet it would be delicious with the bacon, roasted vegetable, garlic butter, or everything RITZ® Cracker flavors too.
- You could add a little italian seasoning or oregano to the chicken mixture if you wanted to spice it up a little. I bet it would also be amazing with a little crumbled bacon. (Isn’t everything better with bacon?)
- I recommend serving these immediately at your party. A platter of Chicken Caprese Crackers could be refrigerated for a short period of time if need be. If you like to prep in advance of parties, you could slice the cheese, mix the chicken and chop the basil a day or two ahead of time so that the only things left to do the day of the party is to slice the tomatoes and assemble the ingredients on RITZ® Crackers.
- You’ll see in the pictures I sliced the mozzarella and tomatoes fairly thick for the Chicken Caprese Crackers so they’d be a heartier appetizer. You could slice the cheese and tomatoes thinner to make them easier to eat in a bite or two. It would also allow you to use more RITZ® Crackers and extend your ingredients to serve a much larger platter of the Chicken Caprese Crackers.
For more inspiration, follow our Recipe Ideas Board on Pinterest. If you liked this easy appetizer idea, please share the Chicken Caprese Crackers recipe with your friends or pin it for later:
While you’re here, be sure to check out other appetizer ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- Mini Taco Cups: Easy Appetizer Recipe for a Party
- How to Make Deviled Eggs The No Fail Way
- Touchdown Cheese Dip Recipe: Slow Cooker Appetizer
This post was originally published April 2015. Updated April 2018 and again in August 2020.