Hot summer days call for ice cold frozen treats! This Chocolate Chunk Caramel No Churn Ice Cream recipe is an easy dessert idea your whole family will love.
If you ask me, one of the absolute BEST parts of summer is ice cream. Whether you’re having it on vacation with your family, enjoying it for dessert after dinner or indulging yourself as a mid-day treat, ice cream always, always hits the spot during these hot summer months. Today we’re sharing a delicious recipe for Chocolate Chunk Caramel No Churn Ice Cream that you’re going to love!
A few months ago, Meaghan from Cook. Craft. Love. shared a fun recipe for patriotic brownie ice cream sandwiches. Since I love ice cream, I was thrilled when she told me her recipe for this month is an easy homemade no churn ice cream that anyone can make. No fancy tools or ice cream maker is required. YAY!
“This one is beyond easy,” Meaghan said, “and while I *do* like the taste of churned ice cream better, because I think it’s creamier and less cloyingly sweet, no-churn recipes are great if you don’t have an ice cream maker.”
If dark chocolate chunks and caramel aren’t the perfect combo for you, Meaghan has some other awesome frozen treat ideas for you on her website. You should definitely check out her fantastic recipes for Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, Red Wine Ice Cream and Italian Lemon Ice.
How to Make Chocolate Chunk Caramel No Churn Ice Cream
While this no churn ice cream recipe is incredibly easy, it does require that you prepare it at least a day in advance. I should also warn you, if you’re serving a crowd, you may want to double or triple this homemade ice cream recipe. Once your family tastes it, this amazing summertime treat is going to go FAST!
What You Need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the homecoming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Kitchen Tools and Supplies:
- Stand mixer with whisk attachment or hand mixer
- Large mixing bowl
- Mixing spatula
- Loaf pan or tin
- Skewer or knife
- Ice cream scoop
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Dark chocolate chunks
- Caramel sauce
- Waffle cones (optional)
Tips for making No Churn Ice Cream
1. Beat the whipping cream.
In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or with a hand mixer beat the heavy whipping cream on a high speed until it reaches stiff peaks. This should take you about 5-7 minutes. Meaghan warns that the less firm your whipping cream is at this stage, the softer your ice cream will be.
2. Fold in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.
Once you reach stiff peaks, add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Then gently fold it in using the lowest setting on your mixer. Use a spatula to finish incorporating the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Be sure you continue to use the folding method so you don’t knock all the air out of the ice cream mixture.
3. Layer the ice cream in a loaf pan.
First, pour half of your ice cream mixture into a loaf pan or tin. Then drizzle it with half of the caramel sauce. Use a skewer or knife to carefully swirl the caramel sauce a little through the ice cream mixture. After that’s done, sprinkle half of the dark chocolate chunks on top of the ice cream. Next repeat the layers using the rest of the ice cream, caramel sauce, and chocolate chunks.
4. Freeze the Chocolate Chunk Caramel No Churn Ice Cream overnight.
Cover the loaf pan tightly with plastic wrap. Then put the Chocolate Chunk Caramel No Churn Ice Cream in your freezer overnight. I know, I know… waiting a whole day before enjoying this delicious no churn ice cream is practically torture.
5. Serve and enjoy!
Once the Chocolate Chunk Caramel No Churn Ice Cream has hardened overnight, use an ice cream scoop to serve it with your favorite cones and toppings! You may need to let the ice cream soften slightly on the counter in order to get the ice cream scoop into it. Alternately, you could also run the ice cream scoop under hot water before serving the Chocolate Chunk Caramel No Churn Ice Cream.
While this Chocolate Chunk Caramel No Churn Ice Cream is delicious on its own, here are some fun ideas for serving suggestions and toppings:
- Put it between two chocolate chip cookies to make it into ice cream sandwiches.
- Serve it in waffle cones or waffle cups.
- Top it with red white and blue sprinkles to make a patriotic treat for the 4th of July.
- Pour warm creamy vanilla sauce or hot fudge over the ice cream prior to serving.
Chocolate Chunk Caramel No Churn Ice Cream
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or with a hand mixer beat heavy cream on a high speed until it reaches stiff peaks. About 5-7 minutes.
- Once you reach stiff peaks add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and gently fold it in on the lowest setting. Use a spatula to completely incorporate using the folding method so you don’t knock all the air out.
- Repeat with remaining ice cream, caramel sauce, and chocolate chunks. Then cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- Serve with your favorite cones and toppings!
While you’re here be sure to check out these other easy dessert ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- Caramel Fudge Ice Cream Cake With Pretzel Crust
- Peanut Butter Fudge Cake
- Strawberry Vanilla Yogurt Popsicles
If you enjoyed this Chocolate Chunk Caramel No Churn Ice Cream recipe, please share this with your friends or pin it for later:
Originally published July 2018. Updated May 2020.