Happy Cinco de Mayo, Kenarry readers! I’m Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen and I’m back for a Mexican themed edition of Ideas for the Kitchen, a blog series where Carrie and I swap recipes once a month. When we found out this month’s exchange would be taking place on Cinco de Mayo, we decided to seize the day (dia?) and give y’all some recipe ideas for your next fiesta! I’m bringing you a recipe for what is probably my absolute favorite food in all the world: Enchiladas! And these are extra special, because they’re Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas.
If you’re looking for Carrie, you can find her over on my blog today where she’s sharing her recipe for Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos. She’ll be sharing it here on Kenarry in a couple of weeks, but if you want to go ahead and take a peek, you can visit Belle of the Kitchen to check it out!
Mexican food is hands-down my favorite food of all time. I could live very happily with just a basket of chips and salsa, and a plate of enchiladas served to me daily. Annnnnd a margarita or two wouldn’t hurt either. 😉
Since it’s Cinco de Mayo, I say today is the perfect excuse to nosh on all your favorite Mexican yummies. For my kids, that would simply mean eating a big bowl of “gock-uh-moe-ee” by the spoonful, with a few chips thrown in. But even my son, with all his picky ways, actually enjoys eating these enchiladas. He likes to eat the filling, and I really can’t blame him. It’s so so SO good!
These Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas are very simple to prepare, especially if you use a rotisserie chicken to help save a bit on time. I love to buy our rotisserie chickens from Costco because they are only $4.99!! I mean, you just can’t beat that!
The filling is made with onions, garlic, green chiles, and chicken. It’s nice and creamy thanks to a little cream cheese, too. I like to wrap these enchiladas up with either small or medium sized flour tortillas, but you can also use corn tortillas if that’s more your style. Once these are done baking, sprinkle on a little cilantro and top with some sliced avocado and you are ready to eat!
So how do you plan on spending your Cinco de Mayo? Are you headed out on the town, or staying in and enjoying a little fiesta at home? Let us know in the comments! We’d love to hear what you’ve got planned.
Before you go, check out these other Easy Dinner Ideas!
Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 TB Butter
- 1 cup Onion diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2 cups cooked chopped chicken breasts
- 8 medium sized flour tortillas
- 1 16 oz jar green salsa
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for five minutes, until softened. Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute more, until fragrant.
- Stir in cream cheese, green chiles, and chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low mixing constantly until cream cheese is melted and mixture is combined.
- Pour a small amount of green salsa (about a 1/4 cup) into the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Divide filling evenly between 8 tortillas, about 1/3 cup each. Roll tortillas and place them seam side down in the pan. Cover enchiladas with the remaining salsa and sprinkle with cheese. Cover pan with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with sliced avocado.
Hungry for more Cinco de Mayo recipe ideas? You might like:
Thank you so much to Carrie for having me over to visit! I’ll look forward to coming back next month with a new recipe to share with all of you.
Ashlyn is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer at Belle of the Kitchen. She’s the mama of two precious babies, an army wife, and southern girl at heart. She and her family are currently stationed in Hawaii, so when she’s not making a mess of the kitchen, she and her little ones are outside soaking up the sunshine. She loves to share a balance of healthy recipes, family friendly meals, and plenty of treats to satisfy your sweet tooth. Be sure to connect with her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram to keep up with the new recipes coming from her kitchen.