Take your waffles to a whole new level of scrumptious with this creamy vanilla waffle sauce topping. Made with just a few ingredients, it can be done in the microwave in just a few minutes!
Hi Friends! I’m Rita Joy from Harbour Breeze Home. I’m so excited to be here today sharing one of our family favorite recipes: Creamy Vanilla Sauce Waffle Topping.
Breakfast for dinner is one of our favorite meal choices, and waffles is my youngest son’s favorite. What makes it special, though, is the creamy vanilla sauce waffle topping. It was a traditional recipe in my husband’s home. I had never heard of it until my Mother-in-Law taught me to make it! Now we never have waffles without it.
This topping can be made for either homemade waffles, or the frozen variety. If I feel really ambitious, I make them from scratch using the recipe provided in my waffle iron cookbook.
In between pouring the batter and taking them out to put in the oven to stay warm, I make the waffle sauce.
Here’s how to make Creamy Vanilla Sauce Waffle Topping in the Microwave:
(*Note: Microwave temperatures vary, so the time may need to be adjusted depending on the strength of the microwave. As always, use caution when microwaving anything to a boiling point.)
What You Need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Microwave safe bowl or large Pyrex measuring cup
- Small mixing bowl
- Waffle maker
- Waffle mix
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
Homemade vanilla sauce tips
Here are some tips and things I learned while I was making the sauce.
Don’t overheat the milk
Heat your milk in the microwave only until it’s warm. You could scald it if you overheat it.
Mix some cold milk with sugar and cornstarch
After you heat up the milk in the microwave, get a separate bowl and mix the cold milk with some sugar and cornstarch.
This will help the cornstarch mix completely with the milk without lumps.
Whisk it together and heat just until boiling
After you add the cornstarch mixture, heat it all back up until boiling. Watch it carefully, you don’t want it to scald or burn.
Add the butter and vanilla last
Wait until it is the perfect thickness before you add the butter and vanilla. This will help you have a sauce that is the ideal texture.
Serve over waffles with fresh berries or canned fruit.
Or you can try my boys’ favorite method: They skip the berries and just add vanilla sauce with a little pancake syrup.
Either way, it’s absolutely delicious and takes waffles to a whole new level of scrumptious!
Creamy Vanilla Sauce Waffle Topping
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1-2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Heat 2 cups of milk in the microwave until warm (about 1-2 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup cold milk with 1/2 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons cornstarch.
- Whisk cornstarch mixture into heated milk.
- Put sauce back into microwave and heat until boiling in 1 minute intervals. Whisk between each interval.
- Once mixture has thickened and come to a boiling point, mix in 1-2 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Serve over waffles with fresh or canned fruit.
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
More Great Ideas
If you want to check out some other posts from my blog, you may be interested in:
- This way to organize cupboards in a small kitchen
- These creative jewelry organizers for the wall (that you could make yourself!)
- This recipe for a super quick homemade dessert ~ vanilla, chocolate, or butterscotch microwave pudding
You may also enjoy these breakfast ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®:
- French Toast Casserole
- Pumpkin Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Chocolate Glazed Donuts: An Easy Baked Version
Originally published March 2018. Updated February 2020.