Hi Friends! I’m Rita Joy from Harbour Breeze Home. I’m so excited to be here today sharing one of our family favorite recipes: Creamy Vanilla Sauce Waffle Topping.
Breakfast for dinner is one of our favorite meal choices, and waffles is my youngest son’s favorite. What makes it special, though, is the creamy vanilla sauce waffle topping. It was a traditional recipe in my husband’s home. I had never heard of it until my Mother-in-Law taught me to make it! Now we never have waffles without it.
This topping can be made for either homemade waffles, or the frozen variety. If I feel really ambitious, I make them from scratch using the recipe provided in my waffle iron cookbook.
In between pouring the batter and taking them out to put in the oven to stay warm, I make the waffle sauce.
Here’s how to make Creamy Vanilla Sauce Waffle Topping in the Microwave:
(*Note: Microwave temperatures vary, so the time may need to be adjusted depending on the strength of the microwave. As always, use caution when microwaving anything to a boiling point.)
What You Need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Kenarry: Ideas for the Home will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Microwave safe bowl or large Pyrex measuring cup
- Small mixing bowl
- Waffle maker
- Waffle mix
- 2 cups milk + an additional ½ cup cold milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Heat 2 cups milk in the microwave until warm. (90 seconds)
In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup cold milk with 1/2 cup sugar and 3 Tablespoons cornstarch.
Add the cornstarch mixture to the heated milk and whisk together. Heat again in 1 minute intervals. Whisk mixture after each interval and continue heating until it becomes thicker and begins to boil.
Once thick, mix in 1 -2 Tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Serve over waffles with fresh berries or canned fruit.
Or you can try my boys’ favorite method: They skip the berries and just add vanilla sauce with a little pancake syrup.
Either way, it’s absolutely delicious and takes waffles to a whole new level of scrumptious!
Creamy Vanilla Sauce Waffle Topping
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1-2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Heat 2 cups of milk in the microwave until warm (about 1-2 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup cold milk with 1/2 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons cornstarch.
- Whisk cornstarch mixture into heated milk.
- Put sauce back into microwave and heat until boiling in 1 minute intervals. Whisk between each interval.
- Once mixture has thickened and come to a boiling point, mix in 1-2 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Serve over waffles with fresh or canned fruit.
More Great Ideas
If you want to check out some other posts from my blog, you may be interested in:
- This way to organize cupboards in a small kitchen
- These creative jewelry organizers for the wall (that you could make yourself!)
- This recipe for a super quick homemade dessert ~ vanilla, chocolate, or butterscotch microwave pudding
You may also enjoy these breakfast ideas on Kenarry: Ideas for the Home:
- French Toast Casserole
- Pumpkin Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Chocolate Glazed Donuts: An Easy Baked Version
Rita Joy is a wife, mom, passionate homemaker, and blogger at Harbour Breeze Home. She loves the challenge of making a pretty and functional home (on a tight budget) and cooks because her family needs to eat! Along with rearranging furniture and painting rooms, she loves to find quaint coffee shops (with yummy baked goods!).