This stylish hanging Christmas tree decoration is so quick and easy to make. All as you need is about 30 minutes and a few items that you probably already have lying around the home.
Hi everyone, I’m Sam from A Happy Home In Holland.
And I’m happy to be back again at Kenarry today to share this super DIY Christmas craft with you all.
I really have fallen in love with this sweet little Hanging Christmas Tree Decoration because despite it being so simple to make it looks (in my opinion) ultra-stylish. Definitely my kind of project!
How To Make Your Hanging Christmas Tree Decoration
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
- Thin fleece material or felt (I used a cheap cream blanket.)
- Gold thread
- Small silver beads
- White glitter berry spray/picks (or beads)
- Red and white candy stripe ribbon
I used some decorative white glitter berry picks which I had leftover from previous projects.
The little berries were made of foam so they were very easy to pull off the metal stems and to add to the hanger using the needle and thread.
If you don’t have these you can easily replace them with pretty beads.
Here’s how to make your own DIY Christmas tree decorations out of fleece and ribbons.
1. Remove berries from the wires. You don’t have to do this if you are using beads.
2. Cut out 6 circles. Make sure they graduate in size from 1 inch to 2 inches, 2.5 inches, 3 inches, and so on. The easiest way to do this is to fold your material in half and cut out semi-circles. The circles don’t have to be perfect but do make sure you cut smoothly.
3. Tie a bead to the gold thread. Now take a long piece of gold thread and tie a small silver bead about 2 inches from the end, using a needle add a foam glitter berry or bead.
You can hide the loose 2-inch tail by using the needle to thread it back up through the berry. Snip the excess off, then re-thread the needle back with your long piece of thread and carry on.
After that, add another small silver bead.
4. Roll the largest felt circle. Next roll your largest fleece/felt circle and thread on top of the beads.
5. Repeat the pattern of beads and rolled fleece. Repeat this, going from large to small with the material circles and alternating the beads to create the pattern shown above. Lay to one side whilst you make the ribbon star.
How to Make Ribbon Stars
On top of the fleece Christmas tree is a pretty red ribbon star. Here’s how I made it.
- Cut 6 pieces of ribbon. Cut 6 equal 1-inch pieces of ribbon, line 3 of the ribbon pieces up and carefully snip the corners off on each end so that you have pointed ends. Repeat with the other 3 pieces of ribbon.
- Sew them together. Lay 3 of the pieces in a star shape then sew them together in the middle and add a silver bead. Then thread the other 3 ribbon pieces on to the back (again in a star shape) and add another silver bead.
- Twist the fabric. My ribbon had a plain red back so I twisted the two back to back star shapes so that the red tips showed (see above). Add a few more stitches to make sure they are properly secured.
- Trim off excess thread. Trim any excess thread off the star and thread it on to the top of your Christmas tree hanger.
- Make a loop out of gold thread. With the remaining gold thread make a loop on top to make the hanger for the Christmas tree. Again trim any excess.
And it’s as easy as that!
Because these are so easy I am also planning to let my daughters make some of their own. For the girls, I think it will be fun to let them try making their Christmas tree decorations using different materials and bright colors.
Don’t have time to make it now? You can always ‘Pin It’ for later!
If you need more holiday inspiration check out a few more of my ideas for the home.
You may enjoy these other Christmas ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- How to Make Nail Polish Dipped Christmas Ornaments
- Holiday Candy Dish: Easy Christmas Craft Idea for Kids
- Carols of Christmas Window Clings
Updated November 2019.