These Dutch Mini Pancakes are easy to make and the kids absolutely love them! They are traditionally served with butter and icing sugar but can also be served either as a sweet or a savoury dish.
Hello Kenarry friends, it’s Sam here from A Happy Home In Holland back again with another yummy recipe – Dutch mini pancakes!
During the summer holidays, my kids had been pestering me to cook some poffertjes for them. And since I was making them anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to share this fun and super simple recipe with you guys.
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
What are poffertjes?
So what are poffertjes? They are tiny little pancakes that are very popular here in the Netherlands.
You will find these little Dutch mini pancakes not only served at fairs and street markets but also ready-made in supermarkets.
Here’s what you’ll need to make them.
Kitchen Tools and Supplies:
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
To get the puffed-up look, these little pancakes are normally made in a traditional poffertjes pan. This is a heavy pan with small indentations (normally made from cast iron).
If you do not have a poffertjes pan you could use a frying pan or flat griddle. They will taste the same but won’t look so puffed up.
Dutch Mini Pancakes
- In a small cup, mix the dried active yeast together with a little of the warm milk and put to one side.
- Whisk the ingredients until you get a smooth lump free batter.
- Cover the mixture with a clean cloth and set aside in a warm place for about one hour and allow the mixture to rise.
- Use some melted butter to grease the poffertjes pan (or griddle/frying pan) and allow it to heat up on a medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot enough, fill each indentation with the batter.
- Allow the batter to cook until it bubbles up and one side has turned brown then turn them over and allow to brown on the other side (If they are sticking allow a few moments more).
- Transfer to a plate and serve with a small piece of butter and some icing sugar.
Once you have got the hang of making these little Dutch mini pancakes (poffertjes), it’s a great basic recipe to adapt to suit your own tastes.
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
If you would like to see some more of my recipes or diy/craft ideas you can always pop over to visit me on the blog: A Happy Home In Holland
Here are a few of my recent posts …
You may also enjoy these other breakfast ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –