This recipe for easy chicken cordon bleu melts combines chicken salad, ham, provolone and fried onions for a quick meal sure to please your whole family.
Chicken melts are a regular feature in our weekly meal plan. We often have them a few times a month because they are so quick to make and I usually have the ingredients in stock. This time I gave the recipe a creative new spin and made Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts.
Chicken Melts are my super easy “go to” dinner when I haven’t been to the grocery store in a while or have forgotten to thaw something from the freezer.
What to Put on Chicken Cordon Bleu melts
This is a very basic recipe that is really easy to customize. Here are some ideas you can try:
- Cheese: Try this with mozzarella cheese, muenster cheese, or sharp cheddar.
- Veggies: Add a few vegetables on top, like carrots and celery.
- Dried Cranberries: Top with dried cranberries or even some raisins for a bit of sweetness.
How to make Cordon bleu paninis
You can take my recipe and turn them into scrumptious paninis too. You will need a panini press. Here’s how:
- Mix everything together and put it on the bread.
- Butter the outside of the bread.
- Grill the sandwich on the panini press.
What Type of Bread is Best?
Any type of bread works. But if you really want an outstanding melt or panini, try sourdough bread or Texas toast. A thicker slice of bread will handle the sauce better.
It will also be able to hold all the toppings perfectly, so pile them on thick!
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts with Fried Onions
- 1 can of chunked chicken breast 12.5 oz can or 1 1/2 cups of shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Salad Supreme
- 1/8 teaspoon Celery Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 medium sized onion
- 12 slices thinly sliced deli ham
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices of bread
- Prepare the chicken salad: If using canned chicken, drain then shred with a fork in a medium sized bowl. Add Miracle Whip/mayonnaise and mustard. Season with Salad Supreme, celery salt, garlic powder, pepper and salt to taste. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the onion and place in a frying pan with a thin layer of water, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Fry the onion over medium heat stirring regularly until the water steams off. Continue to cook for a few minute until the onions turn golden in color, but are still soft.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet. Place slices of bread in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Spread chicken salad across each slice of bread until it’s evenly distributed.
- Layer 3 slices of ham on top of slice of bread, followed by 1 slice of provolone. Top each one with fried onions.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
We hope you’ll enjoy the Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts as much as we do. This dinner can be paired with a side salad, some steamed veggies or chips for a quick meal you can have on your table in no time.
What’s your family’s favorite “go to” meal for dinner? Please comment below — we could use some new ideas!
Need more easy recipes? Check out these Easy Dinner Ideas –
- Cheesy Chicken Melts with Red Pepper Jelly
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Noodle Bake
- Easy Chicken Verde Enchiladas: Only 5 Ingredients!
Updated September 2019.