This recipe for Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts combines chicken salad, ham, provolone and fried onions for a quick meal sure to please your whole family.
Chicken melts are a regular feature in our weekly meal plan. We often have them a few times a month because they are so quick to make and I usually have the ingredients in stock. They’re my super easy “go to” dinner when I haven’t been to the grocery store in a while or have forgotten to thaw something from the freezer. I vary it from time to time with the kind of cheese I use or by adding carrots, celery, onion or dried cranberries into the chicken salad. Recently, I decided to mix it up by adding ham, provolone and fried onions. Voila! We created a new family favorite — Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts!
- 1 can of chunked chicken breast (12.5 oz can) or 1½ cups of shredded chicken
- ½ cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- 1½ teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Salad Supreme
- ⅛ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium sized onion
- 12 slices thinly sliced deli ham
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices of bread
- Prepare the chicken salad: If using canned chicken, drain then shred with a fork in a medium sized bowl. Add Miracle Whip/mayonnaise and mustard. Season with Salad Supreme, celery salt, garlic powder, pepper and salt to taste. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the onion and place in a frying pan with a thin layer of water, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Fry the onion over medium heat stirring regularly until the water steams off. Continue to cook for a few minute until the onions turn golden in color, but are still soft.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet. Place slices of bread in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Spread chicken salad across each slice of bread until it's evenly distributed.
- Layer 3 slices of ham on top of slice of bread, followed by 1 slice of provolone. Top each one with fried onions.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
We hope you’ll enjoy the Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Melts as much as we do. This dinner can be paired with a side salad, some steamed veggies or chips for a quick meal you can have on your table in no time.
What’s your family’s favorite “go to” meal for dinner? Please comment below — we could use some new ideas!