This easy to sew burlap placemats tutorial features burlap and linen for added durability. It’s a simple and quick project for burlap lovers!
Hello, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® readers! I’m Pam from The Birch Cottage and I am just giddy to be here again today sharing one of my favorite burlap DIY projects with you. I don’t know about you, but I just love burlap and anytime I can incorporate burlap into my home decor, I’m a happy girl. Just imagine how happy I am now that I’m sharing this Easy Sew Burlap Placemats tutorial with you!
I did a little experimenting with the placemats until I came up with just the right look. I just love the way these burlap placemats turned out and they were super easy to sew! Although I like the look of the burlap placemats with the fringe edges, but I wasn’t sold on the durability. Burlap, as I’m sure you know, likes to come un-woven. Simply sewing stitches around the perimeter of the placement just didn’t seem sturdy enough for my family.
So, I came up with the idea of sewing the burlap onto natural cotton linen. The linen makes the placemats reversible and adds stability and durability to the burlap. I love the look of the natural linen cotton with its fibers and think it contrasts well with the burlap. For even more anti-fraying assurance, I added a top stitch around the entire edges of the placemat.
Easy Sew Burlap Placemats
- Cut the burlap so that it measures 16″ x 22″ for each placemat you want to make.
- Cut the cotton fabric so that it measures 16″ x 22″ for each placemat you want to make.
- You should have one 16″ x 22″ piece of burlap and one 16″ x 22″ piece of cotton fabric for each placemat.
- Lay one piece of cotton fabric face up and lay one piece of burlap face down onto the cotton fabric. Sew around the placemat using an 1/2″ seam allowance. Be sure to leave about a 3″ opening for turning the placemat.
- Trim seams and clip corners.
- Turn the placemat inside out, being sure to push out the corners.
- Press the seams down flat (with your iron) around the entire placemat. Then top stitch about 1/4″ from the edge of the placemat around the entire placemat.
- Repeat for each placemat.
There you have it! An Easy Sew Burlap Placemat! Aren’t they just too cute?!
I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial half as much as I enjoyed making the placemats and sharing it with you. Here’s to a great DIY filled summer! Thanks for allowing me the pleasure of sharing my Easy Sew Burlap Placemat tutorial with you today on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®
If you like this project, you might also like the following DIY projects from The Birch Cottage:
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
While you’re here, be sure to check out other burlap projects on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –