Endive And Apple Salad
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This simple Endive and Apple Salad Recipe is unbelievably delicious and super healthy too! With the crisp crunchy leaves and fresh dressing, it’s perfect for a BBQ or as a mid-week meal side dish.
Hello Kenarry friends, it’s Sam here from A Happy Home In Holland and as always, I’m glad to be back here at Kenarry. This month I have a super delicious Endive and Apple Salad Recipe to share with you.
As the temperature outside is warming up most of us like to eat more of the lovely fresh produce that you find at the market and in the supermarkets around this time.
One vegetable that has become a staple for us since having moved to the Netherlands is endive (also known as chicory, witloof and witlof depending on where you live).
Before I met my Dutch hubby I had never even tried it and didn’t even have a clue what to do with it.
How to prepare endive
Endive has a very distinctive fresh but slightly bitter taste which I personally love.
In the winter we bake it in the oven with ham, cheese, and eggs and in the warmer months, we eat it as a delicious crunchy fresh salad such as this one.
How to Cut Endives
One look at this strange vegetable might have you wondering how to cut it.
Here’s how to cut endives.
- Slice down the middle, long ways.
- Chop off the bottom.
- Chop each half into small chunks.
There really isn’t a wrong way to cut it for this salad. You basically want small bite-sized pieces.
Best Apples to serve with endives
Since this is a savory salad, you want a more tart apple. I used Jonagold apples. But you can use Golden Delicious apples too. These are slightly sweet with a really nice crunch.
Endive and Apple Salad
- 3-4 heads of endive aka chicory, witlof, or witloof
- 1 apple I use Jonagold which are crisp with a sweet and sour taste
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of natural yoghurt I use low fat
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- a handful of pine nuts
- Hardboil your eggs then allow them to cool.
- Chop the end off your endive, then remove the triangular hard bitter core.
- Now chop the rest of the heads into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Peel and chop your apple into thin julienne sticks then add to your endive in the large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the mayonnaise, yoghurt, lemon juice and salt and pepper (taste to check that you have the right amount of lemon and seasoning to suit your taste).
- Add the mayonnaise and yoghurt dressing to the endive and apple and mix well (if you are being posh you can now put the endive mixture in your pretty serving dish 🙂 )
- Peel and chop your eggs into quarters
- Arrange your eggs and pine nuts on top of your endive salad.
- Place in refrigerator and chill until you are ready to eat.
If you like this recipe and want to save it then be sure to pin it to your Pinterest boards so you can find it back again later.
More Traditional Dutch recipes
And if you would like to carry on and try more Dutch recipes then be sure to check out the Traditional Dutch Apple Pie Recipe that I shared here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® a while back.
You can also hop over to A Happy Home In Holland to find more delicious recipes, one of which being my Mini Dutch Spiced Cookies (Pepernoten) Recipe which is a really great one to do with the kids.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE …
Modge Podge Upcycle Idea + Free Flower Printables
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
While you’re here, be sure to check out other side dish recipes on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- How to Make Deviled Eggs The No Fail Way
- Taco Salad Recipe: A Classic Side Dish Idea
- Easy Macaroni Salad: Classic Summer Potluck Recipe
Updated September 2019.
Looks so tasty.
Thanks Ivory! We hope you love it.
Yes, I’m sure you would enjoy it – it’s become a firm favourite in our household 🙂