Ever wanted to create crepe paper flowers? Learn step by step how to make these pretty handmade tissue paper flowers that you can use to decorate gifts and brighten up your home.
They are really quick and easy to make even if you are new to paper crafting.
And even more importantly, because you only need a few supplies, they are very budget friendly too!
DIY Crepe Paper Flowers Tutorial
Hello Kenarry readers, it’s Sam here from A Happy Home In Holland back again with another fun paper craft idea.
If you have never used crepe paper or tissue paper before then you will be pleasantly surprised by how fun and easy it is to work with.
I think these exotic looking crepe paper flowers look rather effective with the contrasting shapes, textures and lovely color combinations.
The measurements used in this tutorial makes quite a large flower spray. I used this large one to decorate a mirror in my daughter’s room. If you want a smaller version to decorate gifts or use as a corsage then just have a play around and reduce the sizes.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry™ will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Here are the supplies you will need to make this simple project.
- Pink crepe paper or tissue paper
- Lilac crepe paper or tissue paper
- Lime green crepe paper or tissue paper
- Yellow crepe paper or tissue paper
- Thin beading wire (if you don’t have beading wire it would also work with pipe cleaners or some thin florist wire)
- Brown felt tip pen
I’ll take you through each step. By the end, you will have the most intricate and stunning crepe paper flowers you have ever seen.
How To Make Paper Stamens
- First cut 6 lengths of your beading wire and set aside.
- Cut a 3″ x 1″ rectangular piece of the yellow crepe paper, then on each piece make lots of 1″ long cuts on each end to make a sort of fringe. This will make the stamen of the flower.
- Using a brown felt tip pen add some random dots on to the ends of the fringes.
- Now take one of the pieces of wire and wrap it around the middle.
How To Make The Paper Petals
- Next you will need to cut 16 petals in total but instead of cutting them out individually you can work much faster by folding your crepe paper or tissue paper to make 8 at a time (I actually started cutting them individually until I had a light bulb moment and realised I was being a bit dumb – ssh don’t tell anyone!). To do this take a piece of crepe paper approximately 10″ x 12″ and fold it back and forth to make four layers then fold it in half to make 2 pieces with 8 layers.
- Make a teardrop-shaped template out of plain paper or card (approximately 3″ in length). Then using a pencil and your template mark out and cut out your petal shapes.
- Whilst you still have all 8 petal pieces in your hand make 1cm cuts all around the petal leaving approximately 1/2″ between each cut. Repeat and make the second lot of 8.
- Now separate petals and make 4 piles of 4 petals (they don’t have to be too perfectly lined up). Then use a piece of wire to bind each set of 4 together.
- Take the yellow stamen and surround it with the 4 bunches of petals. Using the wire stems twist them tightly together.
- Gently pull the petals apart to fluff the flower up (do this very carefully as the paper can easily rip – believe me I know, grrr).
- Repeat the above steps to make an additional 2 flowers.
How To Make The Paper Leaves
- Cut out 7 strips of 6cm wide lime green crepe paper or tissue paper in 3 different lengths (1 x 14″, 2 x 12″, 4 x 10″).
- Trim each strip on each end to make a point.
- Lay them on top of one another arranging the biggest one in the centre and the smaller ones on the outside. Bind them together with a piece of wire then carefully separate the leaves.
How To Make A Crepe Paper Flowers Bouquet
- Take the 3 flowers and bind them together by twisting the wire.
- Cut 2 smaller double-ended leaf shapes (pointed at both ends) from the lime green crepe paper, make a small hole in the middle then thread them on to the stem.
- Now attach the bundle of leaves to the back of the flowers, again by twisting the wires together.
- Now the last step… cut a long thin strip of the green crepe paper, then wrap it around the wire and stick down with glue.
- The stem will be flexible so you can bend it around into the position you want it.
Crepe Paper Flowers Ideas
Now that you know how to make them, what do you do with paper flowers? Here are some ideas!
- Room decor – pin them around your room or hang them from the ceiling
- Gifts – tape them to gift boxes
- Party Decor
- DIY Gift Ideas – Give an entire bouquet of homemade paper flowers for that extra touch.
See I told you these gorgeous crepe paper flowers were easy to make!
It looks like a lot of steps but it is quite easy when you know how.
Looking for more decor and craft ideas?
Here a few of my other projects & tutorials that you may like…
More Paper Craft ideas
Here are some more paper craft ideas from Kenarry:
Sam is a British Expat who currently lives in the Netherlands with her Dutch husband and 2 beautiful daughters. Her family is very important to her and she values all the little things in life which bring happiness. She loves to be creative and is always happy when she is able to roll her sleeves up and getting stuck-in with her latest DIY or craft project. Sam is also the creator and editor of A Happy Home In Holland which is a creative family lifestyle blog. Her passions are reflected in the blog where you can expect to find lots of home décor inspiration, DIY tutorials, craft ideas, family-friendly recipes & fun activities for the kids.
Originally published November 2017. Updated November 2018.