Make your mornings special with this easy French Toast Casserole. It has everything you love about traditional French Toast, and is baked all in one pan!
Hi everyone! I’m Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen and I’m back again for our latest edition of Ideas for the Kitchen, where Carrie and I swap delicious new recipes once a month. Today we are sharing recipes for warm and comforting breakfast casseroles, which are great for a hearty weekday breakfast, a special weekend brunch, or even breakfast for dinner! Today I’m sharing one of my favorite breakfast recipes, French Toast Casserole. It’s everything you love about French Toast, all baked together in one amazing pan!
If you’re looking for Carrie, you can find her over on my blog today where she’s sharing her recipe for Pizza Breakfast Casserole.
When I was growing up, my older sisters did a lot of the cooking. They each had their own specialties, and my younger brother and I always looked forward to their meals. One of our favorites was always French Toast, and to this day my sister Natasha makes it better than anyone I know. Since we are separated by lots of land, and even an ocean (I live out in Hawaii 😉 ), I don’t get to scarf down as much of her French Toast as I would like. But I have found that no matter if you’re missing your family or simply just the food of your memories, sometimes the only solution is to head to the kitchen and get a little creative.
I’m telling you right now that this French Toast Casserole is so good, you may find your self wanting it for not only breakfast, but also for your lunch, midday snack, dinner, and dessert as well! The bottom layer is made with brown sugar and melted butter, and tell me who doesn’t absolutely swoon over that combination?!
You’ll start out with half a loaf of French Bread and cut it into cubes. I am going to be a stickler for this one, because while you could substitute other breads, it really just won’t have that perfect flavor and texture. The French bread is where it’s at, folks! It is called French Toast, after all. 😉
After you chop up the bread, melt some butter in a small sauce pan and stir in a cup of brown sugar. This will become the bottom layer of your French Toast Casserole and it gives it an amazing caramelly flavor once it’s been baked. Next you’ll add on your bread cubes, then pour a mixture of eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla over the top.
Pop it into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, and you are on your way to one of the most yummy breakfasts you’ll ever sink a fork in to! Really, I mean it!
So what are some of your favorite breakfast recipes? Do you enjoy cooking up something special on the weekends, or for “breakfast-for-dinner” nights? Be sure to share your ideas with us in the comments. Carrie and I would love to hear them!
French Toast Casserole
- 1/2 a loaf of French bread 8 oz, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 Eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Cinnamon divided
- 1 TB Brown Sugar for topping
- powdered sugar for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter a 13x9 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Once butter has melted, stir in brown sugar until dissolved and mixture is smooth. Pour mixture into the bottom of prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Add bread cubes to the pan, spreading over the top of the brown sugar/butter mixture.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and 1 tsp of cinnamon. Pour egg mixture over the top of bread cubes, insuring that all pieces of bread are saturated. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy!
Looking for more breakfast recipes? You might like these recipes found at Belle of the Kitchen:
For more amazing breakfast ideas check out these Ideas for the Home by Kenarry™ favorites: