How To Make Garlic Bread
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
Sometimes the classic recipes are the best! Sharing my easy method for how to make garlic bread, the perfect accompaniment to so many different dinners! This classic method uses two restaurant tips for making perfect bread!
Hi everyone! Amanda here from Old House To New Home, sharing a classic, go-to recipe on how to make garlic bread. When I was in high school, I worked at a local Italian restaurant owned by a man from Sicily. We made the best garlic bread, no frozen Texas toast for us! This recipe is inspired by Italian restaurant waitressing days!
My kids love garlic bread. If I serve pasta without garlic bread, there is usually an outcry! There is nothing like dunking a fresh piece of garlic bread into a bowl of soup or a hot bowl of pasta! I love that I can throw this recipe together while the pasta boils and have it ready in minutes!
How to Make Garlic Bread
Making homemade garlic bread is so easy! Start with a fresh loaf of Italian bread and you are well on your way to perfect golden brown bread!
What you need:
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Baking Sheet
- Mortal/Pestle (optional)
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
- Italian Bread
- Garlic Cloves
- Olive Oil or Butter (Use butter if you want a rich taste and use olive oil for a more fragrant authentic taste)
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Fresh herbs (optional)
Homemade Garlic Bread Tips:
Rub the Bread with the garlic cloves
Here’s my restaurant secret for making super good garlic bread…you should first rub the garlic cloves all over the bread. I know it sounds weird, but it really infuses garlic into every nook and cranny of the bread! You are also going to use a heavy cookie sheet to “press” your bread and get that restaurant-like crusty loaf!
For additional flavor, you can add red pepper flakes to your oil mixture and garnish with fresh herbs such as parsley or basil after baking.
Use freshly peeled garlic
I know that the already peeled garlic in a bag or jar is super convenient, but it isn’t super fresh and is not humanely processed. Always stick to peeling your own garlic. It takes a few extra seconds but is well worth it.
You can slice or mince your garlic and then crush it in a mortar with a pestle. If you do not have one, just use the back of a spoon to crush your garlic into a paste-like texture.
If you need a go-to garlic bread recipe to serve with any meal, then you will love this classic garlic bread made with Italian bread and fresh garlic cloves. This pairs perfectly with any meal!
How to Make Garlic Bread
- Baking Sheet
- 5 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup softened butter or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- fresh herbs optional
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Place the minced garlic in a mortar and pestle and crush to form a paste. (Alternatively, place in a small bowl and use the back of a spoon to crush.)
- Place the garlic in a small bowl with half of the butter or olive oil and heat for 1 minute in the microwave.
- Slice the loaf in half through the middle, then spread the garlic mixture all over the cut edges of the loaves.
- Place the sliced loaves on a cookie sheet and bake for 3 minutes until garlic butter is melted into the bread. Remove from oven.
- Take a second baking sheet and press down on the top of the loaf to form a “press.”
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, checking at the 5 minute mark to prevent the minced garlic from burning. The bread should be deeply golden and will have a few dark brown spots, especially where the minced garlic is concentrated.
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
If you enjoyed this garlic bread recipe, then you will love these other easy garlicy recipes!
One Pan Garlic Chicken and Rice
You may also enjoy these dinner ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –