Macaroni And Cheese With Ham And Broccoli
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This recipe is classic comfort food: a creamy, homemade macaroni and cheese, that’s been taken to the next level with a little ham and roasted broccoli.
Hi there, Kenarry readers! I’m Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen, and I’m back for another yummy edition of Ideas for the Kitchen, a blog series where Carrie and I swap recipes once a month. For April, Carrie and I decided to trade recipes for one of our favorite types of cuisine: pasta! 🙂 My pasta recipe is classic comfort food: a creamy, homemade macaroni and cheese that’s been taken to the next level with a little ham and roasted broccoli.
If you’re looking for Carrie, you can find her over on my blog today where she’s sharing her recipe for Chicken Rigatoni with Bleu Cheese, Bacon and Pears.
A Comforting Pasta Dish
I’m a pasta lover, and I’m pretty sure I’ve been one for most of my life. I love just about every kind of noodle that’s out there and I get overly excited anytime I spot a new shape when I’m at the store.
For a fun twist, try our egg noodles mac and cheese variation. I also love trying homemade German egg noodles. I just love pasta!
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese with Ham
While I adore nearly every type of pasta there is, sometimes you just can’t beat a classic. Macaroni and Cheese is just so comforting, and it’s also so much fun to dress up. 😉
If you’re not into ham and broccoli and prefer your mac and cheese plain, you can totally leave those out. This recipe is an easy way to make homemade macaroni and cheese, even without any additions!
This recipe is a spinoff of another pasta recipe on my blog, Roasted Vegetable Macaroni and Cheese. For this recipe, I kept the roasted broccoli, but swapped the other veggies for ham, and added in some onions for flavor. If you’ve got some ham leftover from your Easter dinner, this would be an excellent way to use it up!
Add Some Panko Bread Crumbs
Sprinkle on a little panko at the end and broil it for a little extra crunch, and you have one comforting meal!
What to serve with Ham & Broccoli macaroni and cheese
The ham and broccoli make this a one-pan dinner. You don’t really need to serve any side dishes with it.
If you really want to, you can add a green side salad and maybe a bowl of fruit.
This also makes a really hearty lunch idea too.
So before I cut to the recipe, I need to know. Are you a pasta lover as well? What’s your favorite way to prepare pasta at home for you or your family? Share your ideas with us below, Carrie and I would love to hear them!
And be sure to check out these other Easy Dinner Ideas!
Macaroni and Cheese with Ham and Broccoli
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with either aluminum foil or a silicone baking mat. Spray with olive oil or cooking spray. Add chopped broccoli to baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile bring a medium pot of salted water to boil, and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add in minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, then gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Carefully mix in macaroni, ham, and broccoli.
- Place mixture in a large baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Place under broiler and bake for 3-4 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
Hungry for more pasta recipes? You might like these:
Pesto Alfredo Tortellini with Smoked Sausage
Thank you so much to Carrie for having me over to visit! I’ll look forward to coming back next month with a new recipe to share with all of you.
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
While you’re here be sure to check out these easy dinner ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
Originally published in April 2015. Updated April 2018.
I’m pinning this! It would be perfect for dinner one night and lunch the next day. Thanks for sharing!
Oh Leslie, I bet this is wonderful as leftovers. Thank you so much for pinning it.
Oh my goodness! Carrie & Ashlyn, my family thanks you in advance. This looks de-lish!!
You really can’t go wrong with mac and cheese can you, Trish? I hope your family loves it!