You’ll love this Mickey Mouse Cake shaped like a train! It’s a really easy idea for a child’s birthday party using Legos.
Create a Mickey Mouse Cake for your child’s birthday that’s shaped like a train! This idea uses loaf shaped cakes and Duplo Lego figurines for an easy decorating idea that anyone can do.
When our youngest son turned three years old not long ago, it should not have been a big surprise to us that he wanted a birthday cake that had something to do with transportation. If it moves and has wheels, this kid is all over it. Last year, I made him a John Deere cake complete with a miniature tractor like his Daddy’s and a large pile of cookie crumb dirt:
This year I thought our younger son would ask for construction trucks or race cars on his cake, but he decided he wanted a train. Not just any train though, he also wanted it to be a Mickey Mouse Cake. This should not have surprised us either since he has seen photos of the Mickey Mouse Cake and treasure hunt birthday party we had for his older brother when he turned the same age. Our younger son is definitely a monkey see, monkey do, “me too” kind of kid in many ways. So if big brother had a Mickey Mouse Cake, then by golly little brother wants one too.
How to Make a Mickey Mouse Cake with a Train
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, we’ll make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are our own, derived from our personal experience.
Making a Mickey Mouse Cake doesn’t have to be complicated. You can easily buy a Mickey Mouse Cake pan and then just decorate it to look like your child’s favorite mouse. As you can see from other birthday cakes I’ve made for our boys though, I often like to use small plastic figurines on cakes to keep things simple. Our three year old loves to build with blocks, so I was thrilled when I found a Lego Duplo Mickey and Minnie Birthday Parade set to use on his birthday cake. We combined pieces of that set with a few from the Lego Duplo My First Number Train Building Set to create the cake you see:
What You Need:
- Mini loaf pan
- Cake mix
- White frosting
- Blue food coloring
- Red food coloring
- A knife or spatula for frosting
- 16 chocolate sandwich cookies
- Small chocolate covered candies
- Cake decorating tips
- Disposable cake decorating bags
- Lego Duplo Mickey and Minnie Birthday Parade set
- Lego Duplo My First Number Train Building set
1. Bake the cake. Follow the directions on the cake mix box to make 4 mini loaf cakes. If the mix doesn’t include instructions for mini loaf pans, just divide the mix evenly among the four compartments in the mini loaf pan. Bake the cake until a toothpick comes out clean.
2. Arrange the Mickey Mouse cake like a train. Once the mini loaf cakes have cooled completely, carefully flip them over to a flat surface and arrange them into a line like a train. You may need to carefully trim the top of each mini loaf cake with a knife to make it sit flat. We used a cake carrier with a lid so we could easily store and keep the cake covered until it was time for our son’s birthday party. To make them fit on the cake carrier, I arranged the mini loaf cakes in a semi-circle. Tip: Before starting the next step, put a little frosting on the bottom of each mini loaf cake to hold it in place like “glue” on the cake carrier.
3. Frost the cakes. Mix white frosting with blue food coloring to create the base color for the train cars on the Mickey Mouse Cake. Frost each of the mini loaf cakes with the blue frosting and a knife or spatula.
4. Trim the cakes. Mix a little red food coloring with the remaining blue frosting from the previous step. Put a star decorating tip in the end of a disposable cake decorating bag. Fill it with purple frosting and then pipe the frosting around the top edge of each train car on the Mickey Mouse Cake. If you’re planning to serve the Mickey Mouse Cake in the next few hours, you could arrange the Lego Duplo Mickey and Minnie Birthday figures before you trim the cakes. If you’re making the cake a day or two in advance, you can trim first, put the lid on the cake carrier and then just add the Mickey Mouse figures right before you serve the cake.
5. Add the figures, cookies and candy to the Mickey Mouse Cake. Mickey Mouse and the train engine parts of course belong on the front or first train car of the cake. Add four chocolate sandwich cookies as wheels on each car of the train.
Fill the last car of the train with small chocolate candies. You can see this is also where I put the three candles for my son to blow out on his Mickey Mouse Cake.
You can put the rest of the Lego Duplo birthday parade decorations wherever you want. We grabbed the little Duplo boy from the Lego Duplo My First Number Train Building Set to put next to Minnie with the balloons since our son thought for sure the little boy was himself.
6. Serve and enjoy! I love how the Mickey Mouse Cake shaped like a train turned out and couldn’t wait to show it to our three year old. I thought for sure he would love it too. Ironically the first words out of his mouth were, “why isn’t it moving? I want the twain to move!!”
Oh, it’s tough to please a demanding – and imaginative – three year old, isnt it?! Thankfully, the birthday boy got over his initial concerns before long and grew to love the cake. By the time we had family and friends over later that evening for pizza, he was showing it off to his friends and grandparents pointing out all the figures and blocks. “And see! Mickey Mouse is dwiving the twain… but the twain doesn’t move,” he was quick to tell anyone who would listen.
Mickey Mouse Cake and Birthday Party Supplies
Birthday party supplies always help set the theme. I love having special Mickey Mouse paper plates and matching Mickey Mouse Napkins to serve the birthday cake. You can find the Mickey Mouse birthday party supplies we used on Amazon, along with other supplies I mentioned in this post:
While you’re here, be sure to check out other birthday ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
If you enjoyed this Mickey Mouse Cake idea, please share it with your friends or pin it for later: