What could be easier than layering fruit and vanilla yogurt? Perfectly Simple Patriotic Parfaits are a healthy dessert idea for your 4th of July picnic. Of course, they’d be great for Memorial Day and Labor Day celebrations too!
Summers are a time for backyard barbecues, family potlucks and picnics with friends. With all these events, you always need to bring food to share. But who really wants to fuss with a lot of ingredients or bake in a hot oven during the heat of summer? That’s why Patriotic Parfaits are the perfectly simple choice when you need to bring a dish to pass this 4th of July. The Perfectly Simple Patriotic Parfaits use strawberries, blueberries and bananas layered with vanilla yogurt and topped with sprinkles.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry™ will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Using yogurt rather than ice cream or pudding, makes these Patriotic Parfaits healthier. We actually used Stonyfield Organic Fat Free French Vanilla Yogurt to pack almost 9 grams of protein into each delicious serving. Serve the Perfectly Simple Patriotic Parfaits in a clear glass or container so you can easily see the red, white and blue layers. Wine glasses or champagne flutes really dress-up this festive treat. However, we wanted ours to be kid-friendly, so we used clear plastic wine glasses instead. I also had my trusty four year old help me assemble the parfaits because I like to involve him whenever I can.
How to Make Perfectly Simple Patriotic Parfaits
What you need:
- Plain or vanilla yogurt
- Whipped cream in a can
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
1. Prepare the fruit. Wash the blueberries. Wash and slice the strawberries. Peel and slice the bananas.
2. Set out the glasses and start layering the parfaits. We wanted the Perfectly Simple Patriotic Parfaits to appear red, white and blue from top to bottom, so we started by putting blueberries in the bottom of the cup.
3. Add yogurt and bananas. Next fill the glass about 1/3 of the way with yogurt, then top with banana slices. Cover the bananas with more yogurt, leaving about an inch of space at the top of the glass.
4. Add strawberries. Carefully place sliced strawberries on top of the yogurt layer. Refrigerate the Perfectly Simple Patriotic Parfaits until you’re ready to serve them.
5. Add the final touches, serve and enjoy! Just prior to serving, top each parfait with a layer of whipped cream and red, white and blue sprinkles. We used Betty Crocker Red, White and Blue Sprinkles because I had them leftover from making Spirited Star Waffles. However, later I found cute star shaped sprinkles from Dress My Cupcake, which I think would make the Perfectly Simple Patriotic Parfaits even more festive.
Other fun foods your kids may enjoy: