Kids will love these Patriotic Pudding Popsicles made with bananas, Greek yogurt and strawberries! They’d be perfect for 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day or a mid-summer poolside treat.
The Perfect Summertime Treat for Kids
Summer is almost here. That means exceedingly warm temperatures throughout most of the United States and lots of time playing outside. Chances are you’ll be spending a lot of time over the next few months at a backyard or community pool. If you’re like my family, it’s going to be one of those small kiddie pools you have to fill up daily from a garden hose.
I originally shared these Patriotic Pudding Popsicles a few weeks ago for the monthly Ideas for the Kitchen exchange with Ashlyn at Belle of the Kitchen. Ashlyn and I wanted to create frozen treats this month to help you and your kiddos feel some temporary (and delicious!) relief from the heat when you’re basking by whatever pool is available to you.
Festive Patriotic Treats
As if poolside treats weren’t enough fun, Ashlyn and I both made our recipes patriotic too! Ashlyn’s husband proudly serves in the U.S. Army, so making the poolside treats red, white and blue is a special way to honor our country. What could be more fun and festive with 4th of July coming up than red white and blue sprinkles? While I was over at Belle of the Kitchen, Ashlyn was here sharing delicious Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches.
How to Make Pudding Popsicles
The entire recipe is in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. But here’s a quick overview with pictures. You’ll see how easy they are! Let your kids help you in the kitchen. It’s the perfect thing they can make too.
Kitchen tools needed
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
- red white and blue sprinkles
- greek yogurt
- instant vanilla pudding mix
- blue raspberry jello powder
Patriotic Pudding Popsicles Directions
If you’ve never made homemade pudding popsicles before, you are in for a fun treat! These are so simple but turn out super creamy! And they are so fun too.
1. Combine ingredients for the popsicle base
First, you combine bananas, Greek yogurt, milk and some powdered vanilla pudding mix in a blender as your base for the popsicles.
2. Make the blue layer
For the blue layer, you mix a third of the banana pudding mixture with powdered blue raspberry Jello mix and pour it into a plastic popsicle mold with sprinkles in the bottom. You can save the remaining powdered vanilla pudding mix and powdered blue raspberry Jello mix to make more of these popsicles for another hot day.
3. Make the white layer
The second layer is another third of the banana pudding mixture left as is.
4. Mix together the red layer
Then for the final layer, you blend the leftover banana pudding mixture with strawberries to top off the Patriotic Pudding Popsicles.
5. Freeze the popsicles overnight
Let the Patriotic Pudding Popsicles freeze overnight. When you’re ready to serve them, run your popsicle molds under warm water for a minute or two to loosen up the banana pudding mixture. The Patriotic Pudding Popsicles should slide right out of the molds and be ready for you to serve to your children.
My sons are five years old and two years old. They absolutely loved these Patriotic Pudding Popsicles. My oldest gave them an enthusiastic two thumbs up which is the highest honor in his current ranking system.
Patriotic Pudding Popsicles
- Pour 1 teaspoon of red, white and blue sprinkles in the bottom of each of your plastic popsicle molds. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine bananas, yogurt, pudding mix and milk until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the banana pudding mixture into a separate bowl. Add two tablespoons of the blue raspberry Jello mix to it and mix with a spoon until it’s a bright blue color.
- Divide the blue banana pudding mixture evenly between the four plastic popsicle molds to create the first layer. It should be about 1/3 full.
- Add strawberries to the banana pudding mixture that’s left in the blender and mix until smooth.
- Pour the final pink/red layer of strawberry banana pudding into the plastic popsicle molds.
- Insert handles into each of the plastic popsicle molds and freeze them overnight. Enjoy!
Suggestions for Patriotic Pudding Popsicles
As you get ready to make the Patriotic Pudding Popsicles, here are a few ideas for you to consider:
- Serve as a smoothie. Pour any leftover banana pudding mixture into a cup and serve to your little ones as a smoothie. After all, they don’t have the patience to wait for those delicious Patriotic Pudding Popsicles to freeze. The smoothie will give them a sneak peek!
- Use fresh blueberries. You could blend blueberries into the banana yogurt mixture instead of the blue raspberry jello mix. It would give your Patriotic Pudding Popsicles more of a purplish hue than the bright blue you see in the photos.
- Make the colors more vibrant with food coloring. Use a few drops of blue and red food coloring if you want the popsicles to be a more vibrant blue and red. Just be careful because sometimes red food coloring can be very bitter tasting.
- Catch drips with a cupcake liner. A paper cupcake or muffin liner can help catch drips to keep your child’s hands cleaner. Cut a small slit in the center of the muffin cup liner and slide the handle right through it.
What’s your favorite summer treat to enjoy by the pool? Please comment to let us know. We’re always looking for new ideas to try.
While you’re here, you should also check out other poolside or 4th of July treat ideas –
- Tropical Turtle Beach Jello Cups
- Red, White and Blue Layered Jello Cake
- Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
- American Flag Cake
You’ll also find tons of other great recipes and decor for 4th of July on our Red, White and Blue Ideas Board on Pinterest. If you liked this idea for Patriotic Pudding Popsicles, please share it with your friends or pin it for later:
Originally created June 2015. Updated May 2020.