Kids will love these Patriotic Pudding Popsicles made with bananas, Greek yogurt and strawberries! They’d be perfect for 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day or a mid-summer poolside treat.
Won’t the kids be delighted when you bring out these Patriotic Pudding Popsicles for 4th of July? These frozen treats are made with fruit, Greek yogurt and vanilla pudding topped with sprinkles.
Summer is almost here. That means exceedingly warm temperatures throughout most of the United States and lots of time playing outside. Chances are you’ll be spending a lot of time over the next few months at a backyard or community pool. If you’re like my family, it’s going to be one of those small kiddie pools you have to fill up daily from a garden hose.
I originally shared these Patriotic Pudding Popsicles a few weeks ago for the monthly Ideas for the Kitchen exchange with Ashlyn at Belle of the Kitchen. Ashlyn and I wanted to create frozen treats this month to help you and your kiddos feel some temporary (and delicious!) relief from the heat when you’re basking by whatever pool is available to you.
As if poolside treats weren’t enough fun, Ashlyn and I both made our recipes patriotic too! Ashlyn’s husband proudly serves in the U.S. Army, so making the poolside treats red, white and blue is a special way to honor our country. What could be more fun and festive with 4th of July coming up than red, white and blue sprinkles? While I was over at Belle of the Kitchen, Ashlyn was here sharing delicious Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches.
The Patriotic Pudding Popsicles are so easy to make. You just combine bananas, Greek yogurt, milk and some powdered vanilla pudding mix in a blender as your base for the popsicles. For the blue layer, you mix a third of the banana pudding mixture with powdered blue raspberry Jello mix and pour it into a plastic popsicle mold with sprinkles in the bottom. You can save the remaining powdered vanilla pudding mix and powdered blue raspberry Jello mix to make more of these popsicles for another hot day.
The second layer is another third of the banana pudding mixture left as is. Then for the final layer, you blend the leftover banana pudding mixture with strawberries to top off the Patriotic Pudding Popsicles.
Let the Patriotic Pudding Popsicles freeze over night. When you’re ready to serve them, run your popsicle molds under warm water for a minute or two to loosen up the banana pudding mixture. The Patriotic Pudding Popsicles should slide right out of the molds and be ready for you to serve to your children.
My sons are five years old and two years old. They absolutely loved these Patriotic Pudding Popsicles. My oldest gave them an enthusiastic two thumbs up which is the highest honor in his current ranking system.
Patriotic Pudding Popsicles
- 4 teaspoons red white and blue sprinkles
- 4 plastic popsicle molds
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons blue raspberry Jello powder
- 4 strawberries
- Pour 1 teaspoon of red, white and blue sprinkles in the bottom of each of your plastic popsicle molds. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine bananas, yogurt, pudding mix and milk until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the banana pudding mixture into a separate bowl. Add two tablespoons of the blue raspberry Jello mix to it and mix with a spoon until it's a bright blue color.
- Divide the blue banana pudding mixture evenly between the four plastic popsicle molds to create the first layer. It should be about 1/3 full.
- Fill the next 1/3 of each plastic popsicle mold with the cream-colored banana pudding mixture that's still in your blender.
- Add strawberries to the banana pudding mixture that's left in the blender and mix until smooth.
- Pour the final pink/red layer of strawberry banana pudding into the plastic popsicle molds.
- Insert handles into each of the plastic popsicle molds and freeze them overnight. Enjoy!
Suggestions for Patriotic Pudding Popsicles
As you get ready to make the Patriotic Pudding Popsicles, here are a few ideas for you to consider:
- Pour any leftover banana pudding mixture into a cup and serve to your little ones as a smoothie. After all, they don’t have the patience to wait for those delicious Patriotic Pudding Popsicles to freeze. The smoothie will give them a sneak peek!
- You could blend blueberries into the banana yogurt mixture instead of the blue raspberry jello mix. It would give your Patriotic Pudding Popsicles more of a purplish hue than the bright blue you see in the photos.
- Use a few drops of blue and red food coloring if you want the popsicles to be a more vibrant blue and red. Just be careful because sometimes red food coloring can be very bitter tasting.
- A paper cupcake or muffin liner can help catch drips to keep your child’s hands cleaner. Cut a small slit in the center of the muffin cup liner and slide the handle right through it.
What’s your favorite summer treat to enjoy by the pool? Please comment to let us know. We’re always looking for new ideas to try.
While you’re here, you should also check out other poolside or 4th of July treat ideas –
- Tropical Turtle Beach Jello Cups
- Red, White and Blue Layered Jello Cake
- Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
You’ll also find tons of other great recipes and decor for 4th of July on our Red, White and Blue Ideas Board on Pinterest. If you liked this idea for Patriotic Pudding Popsicles, please share it with your friends or pin it for later: