Made with pudding, pumpkin, whipped cream and cookies, Pumpkin Pie Parfaits are a special fall dessert recipe for Halloween, Thanksgiving or a dinner party.
One of my absolute favorite things about fall are pumpkins. I love the rustic orange color and the scent of cinnamon and nutmeg wafting through the house. Pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin bars, pumpkin breads, pumpkin carving, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin home decor… I could go on and on. My kitchen walls are even a warm, pumpkin color!
The quintessential pumpkin dessert of the season of course, is pumpkin pie. You’ll find it at nearly every Thanksgiving table in North America this fall. I thought it would be really fun to take this traditional dessert and give it a special little twist. These Pumpkin Pie Parfaits have all the flavor you love about pumpkin pie wrapped up in a cute little half pint jar.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, we’ll make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are our own, derived from our personal experience.
I originally shared this recipe for Pumpkin Pie Parfaits at Belle of the Kitchen a few weeks ago. When Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen and I were talking about a theme for our October “Ideas for the Kitchen” exchange, the choice was obvious: PUMPKIN! While I was there, Ashlyn was here with her delicious recipe for Pumpkin Sheet Cake.
How to make Pumpkin Pie Parfaits
Pumpkin Pie Parfaits are a really easy fall dessert idea to make ahead of time for your Halloween or Thanksgiving party. With layers of pumpkin spiced pudding, whipped topping and cookie crumbs, the Pumpkin Pie Parfaits are a delicious treat your friends will love!
You start by combining vanilla pudding with a can of pumpkin and some traditional pumpkin pie spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves.
Next, you thaw a small tub of frozen whipped topping, crush some vanilla sandwich cookie crumbs and line up nine half pint jars.
Layer the ingredients in half pint jars starting with the crushed cookie crumbs, followed by pumpkin spiced pudding and whipped topping. The layers don’t have to be precise amounts. I used a few teaspoons of cookie crumbs, a large tablespoon or two of pumpkin spiced pudding and about one and a half tablespoons of whipped topping for each of the layers.
Repeat the layers of cookie crumbs, pumpkin spiced pudding and whipped topping twice in the jars. Sprinkle the remaining cookie crumbs on the top as a little garnish.
- 1 - 3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 - 15 oz can pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup of vanilla sandwich cookies 8 oz
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- 9 - half pint jars or 8 oz. glasses
- In a large bowl, whisk together pudding mix and milk. Let set for 5 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Crush the vanilla sandwich cookies in a blender or food processor to make crumbs.
- In small 1/2 pint jar or glasses layer cookie crumbs, pumpkin pudding and whipped topping. Repeat the layers twice and end with cookie crumbs.
- Chill until you're ready to serve. Enjoy!
Serving Suggestions for this easy fall dessert recipe
Pumpkin Pie Parfaits are easy fall desserts for a crowd. Here a few alternative ideas for how you could serve them:
- Instead of topping the Pumpkin Pie Parfaits with cookie crumbs, you could use fall colored sprinkles, candy corns or crushed nuts like pecans or walnuts to decorate the parfaits.
- Mix crushed peanuts with the cookie crumbs to enhance the nutty flavor of the Pumpkin Pie Parfaits.
- Tie a little raffia ribbon around the top of the jars to give them some rustic style for your dinner party.
- Instead of the half pint jars, you could also use 8 ounces glasses or dress up the Pumpkin Pie Parfaits by using wine glasses or champagne flutes.
- If you’re short on time or planning for more than nine guests, you could layer the pumpkin spiced pudding, cookie crumbs and whipped topping in a large trifle bowl. It would still look festive and your guests could scoop it into small dessert bowls themselves.
What’s your favorite pumpkin dessert for fall? Please comment below and share. We are always looking for new ideas!
While you’re here be sure to check out our tutorial on how to roast pumpkin seeds, our collection of pumpkin pie alternatives for Thanksgiving and of course, Ashlyn’s recipe for Pumpkin Sheet Cake. We also have several easy dessert recipes that are delicious for fall too, like Caramel Apple Pudding Cups. If you liked this recipe for Pumpkin Pie Parfaits, please share it with your friends or pin it for later:
Carrie is the chief writer, crafter and cook here at Kenarry: Ideas for the Home. She’s an optimist by nature and enjoys sharing recipes, trying new craft ideas, planning for parties and events as well as organizing and decorating. When she’s not blogging, preparing meals or picking up around the house, you’re bound to find her hidden away in a castle under the stairs reading to her two young boys. Whether you’re cooking, crafting or creating for your family, follow Carrie on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Instagram to get inspiring ideas for your home.