These salted caramel butter bars are impossible to turn down. The salty sweet combination is just perfect for any summer gathering or potluck you’re planning.
Hi, my Kenarry friends! It’s Robin from A Home to Grow Old In. It’s been a snowy spring, but we are finally starting to get some warmer weather here in New England. My husband and I just pulled our patio furniture out of our shed (fingers crossed that we are finally done with snow), and now I’m itching for our first neighborhood barbecue of the year.
How I Got Inspired
Last summer, I shared my lemon bars recipe, so you may be starting to notice a pattern. There’s something about a dessert bar recipe that just seems right for summertime get-togethers. My inspiration for these salted caramel butter bars that I’m sharing today came from a recent trip to Epcot in Disney World. There was a store in the Germany section that had an amazing caramel butter bar, but I do have to say that this salted version is even better!
How to Make Salted Caramel Butter Bars
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Cooking / Kitchen Supplies Needed:
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing spatula
- 9 x 13″ glass baking dish
- Microwave safe bowl
- Butter, softened
- Fine sea salt
- All-purpose flour
- Caramels, unwrapped
- Half and half
- Coarse sea salt
Salted Caramel Dessert Bars
For the crust and topping:
For the caramel mixture:
- 14 oz. Caramels Bag – Unwrapped
- 1/3 cup Half and Half
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sea Salt Course
To make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 175 degrees C.
- Add the sugar and butter to a mixer bowl and beat on medium until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and salt and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in the flour and continue to mix just until the flour is combined with the butter mixture.
- Press half of the dough into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Keep the remaining dough in the refrigerator until ready to use for the topping.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes.
While baking, make your caramel mixture.
- Add the caramels and half and half to a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave to stir, and continue to heat and stir at 30-second intervals until completely melted.
- Add vanilla and stir until combined.
- Once the crust is done baking, pour the caramel mixture over the crust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle coarse salt over the caramel mixture.
- Top the caramel mixture with the remaining chilled dough by crumbling small pieces.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the topping is starting to brown.
After making these salted caramel butter bars I’m definitely realizing that dessert bars are a common dish that I serve when we get together with friends! Do you have a favorite type of food that you like to make for your summer gatherings?
Looking for more dessert ideas? Here are a few of my favorites…
While you’re here, be sure to check out some of these other dessert ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® too:
- Chocolate Glazed Donuts: An Easy Baked Version
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Salted Caramel Sauce
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats
Originally published May 2018. Updated May 2019.