The perfect sesame chicken stir fry dinner for busy weeknights. This sesame chicken stir fry recipe is loaded with vegetables and bursts with flavor.
We are a large family and try not to eat out often. If you follow my blog HyperHypoMama then you know when it comes to quick and easy meals I am all over it. Sesame chicken stir-fry is one of my all-time favorite meals! I make it without fail at least once a week. It only takes about 20 minutes to make and I can make it in large batches without ruining the flavor.
A 20-Minute Family Dinner Idea
This is by no means authentic Asian cuisine. It is, however, a delicious knock off that is loaded with healthy veggies. The sauce is what makes this sesame chicken stir fry full of flavor, so feel free to switch out the vegetables used for something in season. I love adding asparagus during the summer and sweet potatoes in the fall.
How to Make Sesame Chicken Stir-Fry
You’ll have this easy skillet meal on the table in less than 20 minutes. Here’s how!
What do you need to make sesame chicken stir-fry?
You only need a few ingredients to make this easy meal!
- Chicken thighs
- Green bell pepper
- Brown sugar
- Oyster sauce
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Sesame oil
- Chili garlic paste
- Minced garlic
- Sesame seeds
1.) Prep the Ingredients
First, do all your food prep before you start. This will make everything go faster as you make the stir-fry.
2.) Saute onions and garlic in chili paste and sesame oil
One of the key tricks to making a delicious stir fry is to saute the onions and garlic together in the chili paste and sesame oil. This caused the onions to lock in the flavor of the chili sauce and give the stir fry the sesame flavor.
3. Add chicken, carrots, pepper and broccoli
Next, toss in the chicken and veggies. Continue to cook until the chicken is completely cooked through.
4. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, and brown sugar
Finally, add all the sauces and sugar. Keep stirring and cooking until the sauce thickens.
Then, you can garnish with sesame seeds and eat! It’s a one-skillet meal that everyone will love.
If you are into to meal prepping, or just bring your lunch with you to work, then you are in for a great treat. The sesame chicken stores well so it is the perfect addition to your meal prep. When reheating, just cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for two minutes. The rice will be steamed again and you won’t even be able to tell your lunch is a few days old.
Before you go, check out these other Easy Dinner Ideas!
Sesame Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 lbs chicken thighs thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp chili garlic paste
- 3 cloves Minced Garlic
- 1/4 tsp sesame seeds
- Heat sesame oil in a skillet on high. Once warm saute garlic and chili paste until fragrant. Add onion and sesame seeds, saute until slightly brown.
- Add rice vinegar to skillet and scrape the bottom of the pan quickly. The vinegar will evaporate.
- Toss in chicken, carrots, bell pepper, and broccoli. Continue to cook on high heat until chicken is cooked through about 10-15 minutes. Do not cover as this will produce too much liquid.
- Stir in soy sauce, oyster sauce, and brown sugar. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until sauce begins thickening.
- Serve over rice and garnish with more sesame seeds.
Rachel is a wife and mother of 4. She loves working with power tools, yoga, coffee, wine, and dancing out of rhythm. She has a passion for new ideas, healthy living, and being your best self. She’s the founder of HyperHypoMama and 2 Legit Media where she writes and creates videos on a variety of topics including (but not limited to) business, wellness, parenting, crafts, and DIY projects.
Originally published December 2016. Updated December 2018.