This single serve hot cocoa recipe is great when you want to enjoy a quick cup of hot chocolate yourself before bedtime. This homemade hot chocolate recipe makes a single cup of hot chocolate, delicious and rich enough that you feel a warm satisfied feeling after drinking it.
Hello Kenarry readers, this is Marissa from Squirrels of a Feather bringing you a quick pick-me-up full of chocolately holiday cheer with a single serve hot chocolate recipe, made from scratch!
Why would you want to make a single cup of hot chocolate? Well, I can think of two reasons myself:
- Husbands who don’t like hot chocolate
- Hyperactive children who don’t need hot chocolate
So there are my reasons for wanting to make one cup of hot cocoa at a time! Let me know your reasons in the comments section below. 🙂
How to Make Single Serve Hot Cocoa
Here is the recipe to make one cup of hot chocolate that is still rich and delicious.
What you need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry™ will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
The complete instructions for my single-serve hot cocoa is in the printable recipe card further down. But here are some step by step pictures to help you along.
1. Combine the dry ingredients
The first step is to measure out the dry ingredients per the recipe instructions. Combine and stir.
2. Heat milk gently
Place 8 oz of milk in a small saucepan and begin to warm up over medium heat. Heat until hot but not boiling, stirring often with a whisk or a spoon.
3. Add the dry mix
Once the milk is hot but not boiling, whisk in the dry hot chocolate mix. Add it slowly and whisk quickly to break up any chunks of dry mix and make sure all of the dry mix has been fully combined into the milk.
4. Pour and serve
Pour into a cup and add marshmallows if desired. Enjoy while hot (don’t burn your tongue!)
Single Serve Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 8 oz milk
- pinch salt
- Measure out the dry ingredients into a small bowl and gently mix to combine.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. You want to heat until hot but not quite boiling.
- Once the milk is hot, slowly and briskly whisk in the dry ingredients. Whisk as you are pouring in the dry ingredients and keep whisking until completely incorporated into the liquid, with no pockets of dry mix visible.
- Remove from heat and drink at leisure. Add marshmallows or other ingredients as desired.
How to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
Homemade hot cocoa mix is a thoughtful DIY gift idea. It can also save you lots of time when you are making your own hot cocoa. I changed Alton Brown’s recipe just slightly. Here’s how I did it.
I put the following ingredients into a mason jar:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Then, when I’m ready to make my hot cocoa, I just fill a mug with 2 tablespoons of my homemade mix, 2 ounces of milk, and stir. Then, I fill up the mug with more milk and heat it up. Yum!
You may also enjoy these drink ideas on Kenarry:
- Snickerdoodle Milk Recipe with Cinnamon and Vanilla
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Gift Idea with Labels
- Spiked White Hot Cocoa
Marissa is the creative mastermind behind Squirrels of a Feather, a lifestyle blog that shares fun and frugal hacks for people with hectic lives (i.e., everyone with a pulse). When she isn’t focused on keeping her two rambunctious boys fed and alive, she enjoys organizing, cooking, and brainstorming new and inventive ways to use a glue gun. Marissa is a certified trash whisperer who also speaks fluent KonMari. Her mantra is “If you’ve got a problem, yo, I’ll solve it.”
Follow Marissa on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter.