This delicious, savory slow cooker butternut squash soup recipe with parsnip is sure to warm you up on a cold winter night.
The Perfect Fall Soup With Squash
Hi there! It’s Amanda from Life at Cloverhill with an easy seasonal slow cooker soup recipe. Root vegetables and squashes are still readily available in most parts of North America during the winter, making them a great way to support local farmers in the colder months.
Add Parsnips for heat
This soup gets its subtle peppery taste from the heat of the parsnips. If you’ve never had them before, they’re like the slightly spicy and nutty cousin of the carrot. Paired with the sweetness of the butternut squash and a heavy dose of cream, this creates a smooth soup that’s full of flavour.
Serve Soup with homemade bread
I served my soup with a nice loaf of my favourite Rustic Rosemary Parmesan No Knead Bread. I just prepped the dough the night before (took all of 2 minutes) and then popped the bread in the oven right before the soup finished up in the crock pot. A delicious homemade meal that tastes fantastic with little effort – my kind of weeknight dinner!
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
How to peel and chop butternut squash
I recently learned a great trick for peeling and chopping butternut squash. Just follow these easy steps.
- Make several slits along the skin of the butternut squash and place it on a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave on high for 3-5 minutes to soften the skin.
- Let it rest for 1-2 minutes until it’s cool enough to handle.
- Peel the outside with a knife or peeler, then cut lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and chop.
This makes it so much easier and safer to chop the butternut squash.
I love making a slow cooker soup like this on days when we’re heading out to run errands. By the time we get back in from the cold, the vegetables are soft and tender. All that’s left is blending them up and adding some cream.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash & Parsnip Soup
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded and chopped (about 5 cups)
- 2 large parsnips peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 apple peeled and chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Add all ingredients except the cream to the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours
- Once cooked and the vegetables are soft, puree in a blender in batches until smooth. Make sure to vent your blender and cover the top with a clean tea towel to prevent splatter.
- Return soup to the pot and stir in cream.
- Serve with Rustic Rosemary Parmesan No Knead Bread
I made a batch of this soup and a loaf of bread to take to a friends’ house for lunch one day. It was so easy to reheat the soup in a small saucepan. It would be a nice surprise for someone on the mend, paired with a DIY Get Well Soon Basket.
Stop by and say hi on my blog and check out some more posts like these!:
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
While you’re here, be sure to check out these soup recipes on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –