Chilly days call for comfort food, like this delicious Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup recipe made with ground turkey, rice, tomatoes and chopped cabbage.
Hey there! When the weather turns colder, I think it’s safe to say we all start to crave home cooked comfort food, like this Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup.
One of my family’s favorite comfort foods to make are cabbage rolls. Cabbage rolls are practically a perfect meal in and of themselves. It’s like a little meatloaf rolled up in cabbage and smothered in tomato sauce.
Making cabbage rolls can feel labor intensive to me, so when I do make them I typically make a huge batch to freeze some for later.
Earlier this fall I had a giant head of cabbage from my Dad’s garden that needed to be used. The head of cabbage was SO big that after making two large pans of cabbage rolls for the freezer, I STILL had cabbage leftover.
That, my friends, is when inspiration struck! After all, some of my best recipe ideas come from the need to use up leftovers, like how I made Southwest Sauteed Red Cabbage when I had cabbage leftover from making Magic Stone Soup with my son.
What you need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
- ground turkey
- tomato sauce
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
- beef bouillon cubes
- Worcestershire sauce
- minced garlic
- brown sugar
- celery salt
- black pepper
- dried parsley flakes
I tend to be lazy on the weekends and love to find or create easy recipes I can prepare ahead of time in my slow cooker. With the leftover cabbage, it occurred to me I really ought to try making it into a Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup.
I chopped the leftover cabbage into large pieces and threw it in my slow cooker. I then added many of the same ingredients I use in my cabbage rolls, like ground turkey, diced tomatoes, onion, dried parsley, garlic and other spices. I also threw in a little brown sugar for some added sweetness. It may not look like enough liquid in the slow cooker, but trust me. The cabbage will break down and liquify during the cooking process.
After cooking it on low for seven or eight hours, my whole house smelled amazing. About 20 minutes before we ate dinner, I added some cooked rice and heated it through.
The Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup tasted as amazing as it smelled. In fact, my husband loved it so much he said he actually prefers Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup over my regular cabbage rolls. Guess I don’t need to go through that labor intensive effort of making cabbage rolls any more when I can get all the same comforting flavors the easy way!
Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 6 cups cabbage chopped into big pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 – 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans petite diced tomatoes
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey and onion until the ground turkey is browned and the onions are soft.
- In a large slow cooker, combine ground turkey, diced cabbage, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, beef bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, brown sugar, celery salt, black pepper, salt, and dried parsley flakes.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours until the cabbage is tender. Add rice about 15-20 minutes before you’re ready to serve so it heats through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serving Suggestions for Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup
If you’re ready for some homemade comfort food, you’re really going to enjoy this delicious Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup recipe. Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup is hearty enough to be served as your main meal.
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup would be great with a garden salad served on the side.
- I’d also recommend pairing it with a large hunk of Sweet and Buttery Cornbread, a few slices of garlic bread or oyster crackers.
- I mentioned earlier about using leftover cabbage for this recipe, but it’s also a wonderful way to use cooked rice that you have leftover from another meal.
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup is a delicious dinner to enjoy as leftovers a few days later.
- I haven’t tried freezing Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup, but if you try it please let us know how it turns out. I know you can freeze regular cabbage rolls, but for that recipe the cabbage isn’t typically cooked yet.
I originally shared this Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup recipe as part of the Ideas for the Kitchen exchange Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen and I do once a month. Last November, Ashlyn and I traded soup recipes to enjoy on chilly fall and winter days. The recipes were so popular with all of our readers we just knew you’d love it if we did it again. Who can ever have enough soup recipes, am I right?
While I was at Belle of the Kitchen, Ashlyn was here sharing her yummy recipe for Creamy Tortellini Fagioli Soup, so make sure you check out that recipe too.
While you’re here, I’d also recommend you check out our recipes from the last time we shared slow cooker soups to see what our readers have been raving about. I think you’d really like my Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup and Ashlyn’s recipe for Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup.
Need more soup recipes? You’ll enjoy these Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
What’s your favorite soup recipe to make in the fall? Please comment below and share. We’re always looking for new ideas for the kitchen! If you enjoyed this Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup recipe, please share it with your friends or pin it for later: