This Slow Cooker Potato Soup is loaded with bacon, ham and cheese. You can enjoy it with a side salad and bread as a great comfort food during those long, cold winter days.
Break out your Crock Pot and warm up with this delicious Slow Cooker Potato Soup. It’s loaded with all your favorite toppings making it the ultimate comfort food.
Best Soup for Cold Weather
In Michigan, we’re breaking out the winter coats, boots, scarves and hats as we prepare for the long winter ahead. With our preparations, we’re also breaking out our slow cookers and trying new recipes to warm us up! I don’t know about you, but I especially crave soup recipes this time of year.
A few weeks ago Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen was here sharing a delicious recipe for Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup as part of our Ideas for the Kitchen exchange to bring new recipes to our readers. While she was here, I was over at her blog sharing this recipe for Slow Cooker Potato Soup, which combines all the flavors you love in a hearty soup fit for the whole family.
It’s loaded with tons of ham, big chunks of potato, diced onions, shredded cheddar cheese and of course topped with crispy bacon. Isn’t everything better with bacon?
Slow Cooker Recipes – Family Dinner-Saver
With two small kids at home, slow cooker recipes make my days so much easier. I love simple recipes like this, where you just throw it all in the slow cooker or crock pot in the morning and let the delicious aroma fill the house by dinner time.
What you need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry™ will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Vegetable peeler
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Slow cooker
- Small mixing bowl
Supplies or Ingredients Needed:
- 6 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 16 ozs. diced ham
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 16 ozs. of bacon slices
The only extra step for Slow Cooker Potato Soup involves adding cheese, milk, and flour about an hour before you’re ready to serve it. I learned the hard way if you add milk in the morning, it separates or curdles over the course of the day. The soup still tastes good, but it doesn’t have the smooth, creamy texture you want in a Slow Cooker Potato Soup.
Slow Cooker Potato Soup Recipe
Here is a printable recipe card for you. Print it and keep it in your cookbook, you’ll love this soup!
Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup
- 6 potatoes about 7 cups
- 1 Onion chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 16 oz diced ham
- 1 can of cream of celery soup 10.5 oz.
- 1 can vegetable or chicken broth 14.5 oz.
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 16 oz bacon slices cooked and crumbled into bits
- Wash, peel and dice the potatoes. Place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add onion, ham, cream of celery soup, vegetable or chicken broth, water, minced garlic and black pepper. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. You want the potatoes to be tender.
- An hour before you're ready to serve the soup, add 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese. Whisk together flour and milk in a small bowl and pour into the slow cooker.
- Garnish with the remaining cheese and crumbled bacon bits. Enjoy!
Serving Suggestions for Slow Cooker Potato Soup
This Slow Cooker Potato Soup is hearty enough to stand alone as a main course for dinner. It goes great with a side salad and a few slices of your favorite bread. You can also top it with oyster crackers, saltines or large croutons.
How to Make Dairy-Free Potato Soup
Since publishing this recipe, we’ve been asked, “how do you make creamy potato soup without dairy?”
I admit that the milk and cheese add something amazing to the soup. But you can easily substitute soymilk for the milk and use dairy-free soy margarine too. The Spruce Eats has a delicious recipe you can follow.
If you liked this recipe, please share it with your friends or pin it for later:
While you’re here, be sure to check out these soup recipes on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry™ –
- Lighter Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- Creamy Tortellini Fagioli Soup
- Potato and Swiss Soup Recipe: Easy Weeknight Meal
Originally published November 2014. Updated November 2018.