Winter arrived early here in Michigan when we got 6-8 inches of big fluffy snow last week. Cold snowy weather calls for warm creamy soups, don’t you think? This Slow Cooker Potato Soup is loaded with bacon, ham and cheese. You can enjoy it with a side salad and bread as a great comfort food during those long, cold winter days.
In Michigan, we’re breaking out the winter coats, boots, scarves and hats as we prepare for the long winter ahead. With our preparations, we’re also breaking out our slow cookers and trying new recipes to warm us up! I don’t know about you, but I especially crave soup recipes this time of year. A few weeks ago Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen was here sharing a delicious recipe for Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup as part of our Ideas for the Kitchen exchange to bring new recipes to our readers. While she was here, I was over at her blog sharing this recipe for Slow Cooker Potato Soup, which combines all the flavors you love in a hearty soup fit for the whole family. It’s loaded with tons of ham, big chunks of potato, diced onions, shredded cheddar cheese and of course topped with crispy bacon. Isn’t everything better with bacon?
With two small kids at home, slow cooker recipes make my days so much easier. I love simple recipes like this, where you just throw it all in the slow cooker or crock pot in the morning and let the delicious aroma fill the house by dinner time. The only extra step for Slow Cooker Potato Soup involves adding cheese, milk and flour about an hour before you’re ready to serve it. I learned the hard way if you add milk in the morning, it separates or curdles over the course of the day. The soup still tastes good, but it doesn’t have the smooth, creamy texture you want in a Slow Cooker Potato Soup.
- 6 potatoes (about 7 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 16 oz diced ham
- 1 can of cream of celery soup (10.5 oz.)
- 1 can vegetable or chicken broth (14.5 oz.)
- 1½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 16 oz bacon slices, cooked and crumbled into bits
- Wash, peel and dice the potatoes. Place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add onion, ham, cream of celery soup, vegetable or chicken broth, water, minced garlic and black pepper. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. You want the potatoes to be tender.
- An hour before you're ready to serve the soup, add 1½ cups of the shredded cheese. Whisk together flour and milk in a small bowl and pour into the slow cooker.
- Garnish with the remaining cheese and crumbled bacon bits. Enjoy!
Serving Suggestions for Slow Cooker Potato Soup
This Slow Cooker Potato Soup is hearty enough to stand alone as a main course for dinner. It goes great with a side salad and a few slices of your favorite bread. You can also top it with oyster crackers, saltines or large croutons.
If you liked this recipe, please share it with your friends or pin it for later:
Carrie is the chief writer, crafter and cook here at Kenarry: Ideas for the Home. She’s an optimist by nature and enjoys sharing recipes, trying new craft ideas, planning for parties and events as well as organizing and decorating. When she’s not blogging, preparing meals or picking up around the house, you’re bound to find her hidden away in a castle under the stairs reading to her two young boys. Whether you’re cooking, crafting or creating for your family, follow Carrie on Etsy, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Instagram to get inspiring ideas for your home.