This recipe for S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake is loaded with marshmallow and graham crackers. It’s the next best thing to sitting by a campfire in the summer.
Enjoy all the gooey goodness of your favorite summertime treat all year round with this delicious recipe for S’Mores Chocolate Fudge Cake. It’s a super easy recipe made with a boxed cake mix and all your favorite campfire s’mores ingredients!
The Best Chocolate Birthday Cake
Are you the type of person who relishes the thought of your birthday and marking the start of a brand new year of life? Or are you the type who loathes it and would rather no one noticed?
Personally, I’m not quite as bad as my sister who claims an entire birth-month to celebrate, but I do look forward to having a day once a year to feel special and reflect on who I’ve become and where my life is headed.
This year, I’m officially reaching “mid-life” — the big 4-0! It’s not going to be black balloons, tombstones and over the hill stuff for me, though. I love celebrating birthdays with my family and prefer we mark this momentous occasion with bright colors, good cheer and of course, cake!
This melt-in-your-mouth S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake has graham cracker, toasted marshmallow and melted chocolate bars. It’s like having your favorite summer-time treat any time of the year.
What You Need:
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Kitchen Tools Needed:
Read the detailed ingredients and instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. But here’s a general overview of what you’ll need from the store.
- Chocolate fudge cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Jar of hot fudge
- Graham crackers
- Marshmallow cream
- Chocolate bars, broken into pieces
I originally shared this S’more Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe at Belle of the Kitchen a few weeks ago as the latest in our Ideas for the Kitchen exchange where Ashlyn and I trade blogs to bring you new recipes and ideas for your kitchen. Both Ashlyn and I were born in the month of March.
To celebrate, we thought it would be really fun to swap birthday dessert ideas this month. While I was there, she was here sharing a delicious recipe for Cake Batter Bars.
The S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake I’m sharing today was inspired by a “Campfire Cupcake” I had at a bakery in Chicago several years ago. It was covered in toasted marshmallows, crushed graham crackers and rich chocolate.
I just knew I had to try making my own version as an entire 9 x 13″ cake when we celebrated my mother’s birthday that year. She has a summer birthday and what says summer more than s’mores and campfires?
S’Mores Poke Cake
Another name for this cake is a poke cake. That’s because you literally bake the cake first, then poke it and pour chocolate fudge into the holes.
Poking and filling with chocolate fudge will make it really gooey and rich. Be prepared. If you enjoy chocolate and sweets, this will become one of your new favorite desserts.
Why wait until summer, though, to enjoy s’mores?! This delicious S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake is like having gooey toasted marshmallow s’mores by a roaring campfire to bring a little warmth and good cheer to what can otherwise be a cold dreary season.
S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake
- Mix the chocolate fudge cake following the instructions on the box for oil, water and eggs.
- Pour the chocolate fudge cake mix into a lightly greased 9 x 13″ glass baking dish. TIP: To help the cake cook evenly, run a strip of terrycloth from an old bath towel under cold water. Wrap it around the cake pan and secure it with a safety pin. This will keep the edges from cooking too quickly which causes the cake to mound up in the center.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the chocolate fudge cake cool for 15 minutes.
- Use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the cake about 1 inch apart.
Serving Suggestions for S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake
- Serve it warm. This S’more Chocolate Fudge Cake is best served warm.
- Pair with vanilla ice cream. Pair it with cold vanilla ice cream, if you’re celebrating a birthday. Candles and party hats are optional.
- Serve with graham crackers. This is a really gooey cake, so feel free to use some graham crackers to help cut down on the richness or to dip into the cake.
- Room temperature is ok. I served this S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake to my Bible study group the day after I made it, though, and they seemed to enjoy it just as well at room temperature.
What’s your favorite birthday cake or dessert? Do you have a standard one you enjoy every year or do you prefer to try new desserts for your birthdays? Please comment below and share. We would love to hear about your traditions and are always looking for new ideas.
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
More Cake Ideas
While you’re here, be sure to check out other cake ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
If you liked this S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe, please share it with your friends or pin it for later:
Originally published March 2015. Updated March 2018.