This recipe for S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake is loaded with marshmallow and graham cracker. It’s the next best thing to sitting by a campfire in the summer.
Are you the type of person who relishes the thought of your birthday and marking the start of a brand new year of life? Or are you the type who loathes it and would rather no one noticed? Personally, I’m not quite as bad as my sister who claims an entire birth-month to celebrate, but I do look forward to having a day once a year to feel special and reflect on who I’ve become and where my life is headed.
This year, I’m officially reaching “mid-life” — the big 4-0! It’s not going to be black balloons, tombstones and over the hill stuff for me, though. I love celebrating birthdays with my family and prefer we mark this momentous occasion with bright colors, good cheer and of course, cake!
This melt-in-your-mouth S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake has graham cracker, toasted marshmallow and melted chocolate bars. It’s like having your favorite summer-time treat any time of the year.
I originally shared this S’more Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe at Belle of the Kitchen a few weeks ago as the latest in our Ideas for the Kitchen exchange where Ashlyn and I trade blogs to bring you new recipes and ideas for your kitchen. Both Ashlyn and I were born in the month of March.
To celebrate, we thought it would be really fun to swap birthday dessert ideas this month. While I was there, she was here sharing a delicious recipe for Cake Batter Bars.
The S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake I’m sharing today was inspired by a “Campfire Cupcake” I had at a bakery in Chicago several years ago. It was covered in toasted marshmallows, crushed graham crackers and rich chocolate.
I just knew I had to try making my own version as an entire 9 x 13″ cake when we celebrated my mother’s birthday that year. She has a summer birthday and what says summer more than s’mores and campfires?
Why wait until summer, though, to enjoy s’mores?! This delicious S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake is like having gooey toasted marshmallow s’mores by a roaring campfire to bring a little warmth and good cheer to what can otherwise be a cold dreary season.
S'mores Chocolate Fudge Cake
- 15.25 oz chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 11.75 oz jar of hot fudge
- 6 graham crackers
- 7 oz jar marshmallow cream
- 4 - 1.55 oz. chocolate bars broken into pieces
- Mix the chocolate fudge cake following the instructions on the box for oil, water and eggs.
- Pour the chocolate fudge cake mix into a lightly greased 9 x 13" glass baking dish. TIP: To help the cake cook evenly, run a strip of terrycloth from an old bath towel under cold water. Wrap it around the cake pan and secure it with a safety pin. This will keep the edges from cooking too quickly which causes the cake to mound up in the center.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the chocolate fudge cake cool for 15 minutes.
- Heat the jar of hot fudge in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, then heat for 20 more seconds. Pour 3/4 of the jar over the top of the holes in the cake.
- Broil on high for 1-2 minutes or until the marshmallows are toasted. WATCH CLOSELY so the marshmallow doesn't burn.
- As soon as you take the chocolate fudge cake out of the oven, drizzle the remaining hot fudge across the top. Insert chocolate bar pieces into the toasted marshmallow.
Serving Suggestions for S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake
This S’more Chocolate Fudge Cake is best served warm. Pair it with cold vanilla ice cream, if you’re celebrating a birthday. Candles and party hats are optional. I served this S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake to my Bible study group the day after I made it, though, and they seemed to enjoy it just as well at room temperature.
What’s your favorite birthday cake or dessert? Do you have a standard one you enjoy every year or do you prefer to try new desserts for your birthdays? Please comment below and share. We would love to hear about your traditions and are always looking for new ideas.
While you’re here, be sure to check out other cake ideas on Kenarry, especially the frozen Peanut Butter Fudge Cake and of course, Ashlyn’s Cake Batter Bars. If you liked this S’mores Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe, please share it with your friends or pin it for later: