If you’re a meat and potatoes kind of family, this recipe for home cooked Sweet Barbecue Turkey Meatloaf will soon be on your list of favorites.
When people think of comfort food, home cooked meatloaf is often one of the first meals that comes to mind. It certainly is for me! The Atlantic had an interesting article several years back on the origins of meatloaf. The article includes details on the rise of meatloaf as a comfort food during the Great Depression due to its low cost and the flexibility of filler ingredients.
The endless variations in meatloaf have continued to make it a mainstay in many recipe rotations. For our family, the primary deviation from tradition is replacing the ground beef with ground turkey. While ground turkey has significant health benefits over ground beef, on its own it doesn’t have a lot of flavor. To spice it up for this meatloaf recipe we’ve added Ritz crackers, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and brown sugar along with typical meatloaf ingredients.
Sweet Barbecue Turkey Meatloaf: A Home Cooked Favorite
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 2 eggs or 1/2 cup of egg substitute
- 1/2 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 sleeve of Ritz crackers crushed (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ketchup optional
- Put bouillon cubes in water. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Use a fork to break up the cubes and stir to dissolve them in the water. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper and chili powder. Stir until well blended.
- Next, stir in the onion, Ritz crackers and brown rice.
- Add ground turkey and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the ground turkey mixture into an ungreased loaf pan.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 80 minutes. Top with ketchup and bake 5-10 minutes longer.
Serving Suggestions for Sweet Barbecue Turkey Meatloaf
When I think of having meatloaf, I always think of potatoes. We paired the Sweet Barbecue Turkey Meatloaf with broccoli and Roasted Potato and Onion Wedges. It would also be great with baked or mashed potatoes. Who am I kidding? Just about any kind of potato side dish tastes delicious with meatloaf! If you’re avoiding potatoes for some reason, I’d also suggest Creamy Garlic Parmesan Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes, rice or your favorite pasta. If you have any Sweet Turkey Barbecue Meatloaf leftover, try serving it for lunch the next day. I love to have meatloaf on toasted bread with melted provolone cheese and ketchup or barbecue sauce. It’s delicious!