Tortilla Crusted Chicken Recipe: A Delicious Dinner Idea
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This Tortilla Crusted Chicken recipe is made with crushed tortilla chips, chicken breasts and a few spices for a delicious easy dinner idea your family will love.
Make this delicious Tortilla Crusted Chicken recipe for an easy weeknight dinner idea your whole family will enjoy and ask for again and again.
A Kid-Friendly chicken recipe
Chicken is one of those staples in our day-to-day lives. I think we have it at least 1-2 nights every week. It’s versatile and can take on so many different flavors depending on how you prepare it. I love to make shredded chicken in a slow cooker to use in casseroles, soups, and other chicken recipes. It goes great with pasta or as a stand-alone main dish too.
Sometimes it’s hard to please the kids though. Our two boys are 6 years old and 3 1/2 years old. One of their absolute favorite meals is tortilla crusted tilapia that we find in the freezer section at Costco. They also rave whenever I make popcorn chicken nuggets so I decided to combine the two ideas for an easy dinner idea – Tortilla Crusted Chicken.
Super Easy Taco Tuesday recipe
You can make this delicious tortilla crusted chicken in less than 45 minutes for a quick dinner idea your whole family will love. This recipe is incredibly easy to make. You can have on the table in no time.
I have the complete recipe in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. But first, I also have some step-by-step pictures that will help you make a super yummy chicken dinner that your kids will love.
Kitchen tools needed:
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Gallon sized resealable bag
- Baking sheet
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
- Chicken breasts
- Tortilla chips
- Cilantro (optional)
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
Tortilla Crusted chicken steps
This is such a simple recipe! Scroll down for the complete details.
First, here are some pictures that illustrate every step.
You start by crushing tortilla chips and mixing them with fresh cilantro and a few spices.
Then toss the crushed tortilla chips in a resealable bag with chicken strips and butter until the chicken is thoroughly covered. Spread the Tortilla Crusted Chicken on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
I suggest lining the baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up after dinner. The Tortilla Crusted Chicken comes out crispy and full of flavor.
The crushed tortilla chips give the chicken just the right amount of saltiness, while the cilantro and spices make this different than a typical breaded and baked chicken recipe.
Tortilla Crusted Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 1 1/2 cups tortilla chips crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine crushed tortilla chips, cilantro, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black pepper and salt.
- Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise into long strips and place in a large resealable bag.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Pour the butter into the resealable bag with the chicken and shake until coated.
- Pour the tortilla crumb mix into the bag and shake thoroughly until all of the chicken strips are thoroughly covered.
- Place the chicken strips on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
This Tortilla Crusted Chicken recipe would be great for a weeknight meal or something different for a Cinco de Mayo fiesta or Mexican-themed party. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Crush the chips ahead of time. On a busy weeknight, you can make it faster to get this meal on the table by crushing the tortilla chips a day or two in advance. You can also slice the chicken breasts the night before and store in the resealable bag in the refrigerator overnight. Then when dinner time rolls around, you have minimal prep to get the Tortilla Crusted Chicken in the oven.
- Use nacho chips. We used regular tortilla chips for this recipe but would love to try nacho chips next time for a slightly different flavor.
- Serve like a taco. After the Tortilla Crusted Chicken is fully cooked, you could slice it into smaller pieces and serve on warm tortillas with lettuce, tomato, and cheese like a taco.
- Add to taco salad. Likewise, you could slice and serve it on a bed of lettuce with black beans, cheese, tomatoes and avocado slices for a Tortilla Crusted Chicken Salad.
- Serve rice and beans on the side. We enjoyed the Tortilla Crusted Chicken with rice and black beans on the side. It also goes great with the homemade Pico de Gallo recipe, I shared last month.
What’s your favorite way to make chicken? Please comment below and share. We are always looking for new dinner ideas!
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
While you’re here, be sure to check out other easy dinner ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®
If you enjoyed this Tortilla Crusted Chicken recipe, please share it with your friends or pin it for later.
Originally published June 2016. Updated April 2020.
I’m ready to eat!! Looks really good! Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner linky – and don’t forget to leave a comment – if you comment and your post is featured next week, it will also get pinned and tweeted!
Thank you, Helen! We’re glad you liked it and took the time to visit.
I love the spices you used! Looks so yummy!
Thanks, Michelle! They really blend together well for this recipe.
That looks super yummy! I love breaded chicken and the this sounds like it has extra crunch with the tortilla crumbs. Thanks for joining the Family Joy Link Party!
Oh yes, the tortilla chips give it a little extra crunch and a little extra saltiness! Thanks for visiting us, Samantha!
I love this idea. I have never thought of using tortillas chips for chicken. Thanks for the idea!
The tortilla chips work great with chicken. Hope you love the recipe!
I’m always looking for new ways to prepare chicken, thanks for sharing on Creative K Kids Tasty Tuesdays.
You are so welcome, Audrey! I hope you and your family enjoy the recipe.
We eat chicken a LOT also. I love this idea and I know we’d love it. Thanks for sharing at #HomeMattersParty!
If you give it a try, please come let me know what you thought, Pam! I’m hoping you love it!