What’s better on a cold day than hot soup? This recipe for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup will hit the spot after it’s been simmering all day.
Nothing beats a bowl of hot soup on a cold, snowy day in the winter. We were inspired to try this recipe for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup that we found on RecipeTips.com a few years ago. We’ve affectionally nicknamed it “Blizzard Soup” because the first time we made it we were enduring one of the worst blizzards our area has ever seen. The blizzard was so terrible, there’s actually an entire Wikipedia page dedicated it. That’s how bad the storm was.
You don’t need to be under high winds and heavy snowfalls to enjoy this Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup. We’ve had it on plain old regular winter days and it’s just as delicious and enjoyable.
- 1 cup carrots
- ¾ cup celery
- 2 potatoes
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 16 oz of cooked cubed ham
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 48 oz jar northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 32 oz of reduced sodium chicken broth
- Peel and slice the carrots. Rinse and slice the celery. Chop the onions. Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Place all of the vegetables in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add garlic, ham, cumin, pepper, salt, diced tomatoes and northern beans, then stir to mix them all together.
- Pour chicken broth into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours until potatoes are tender.
Serving Suggestions for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup
- Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup can be prepared the day before and refrigerated overnight. It also freezes very well so you can save the leftovers for another day.
- We should also note, we chose to use cubed ham for the Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup because it’s quick and easy. The original recipe used ham hocks, ham shank or other ham bones instead of the cubed ham. That version also called for 2 bay leaves. If you try it that way, let us know how it turns out!
- Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup can be served with your favorite crackers and a side salad. It would also be wonderful with our recipe for Sweet and Buttery Cornbread.
What’s your favorite soup to make in the slow cooker on a cold, snowy day? Please comment below and share. We’re always looking for new ideas, especially ones that use the crockpot to make lazy snowy days easier.
While you’re here, be sure to check out other soup recipes on Kenarry, like Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup or Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup. If you liked this recipe for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup, please share it with your friends or pin it for later:
Inspired Ideas is a regular feature on Kenarry: Ideas for the Home, sharing ideas we’ve found from Pinterest or other online resources. The words and photos used in this post are our own, derived from our personal experience implementing this idea.
If you have an Inspired Idea you’d like us to try, please contact us.
Carrie is the chief writer, crafter and cook here at Kenarry: Ideas for the Home. She’s an optimist by nature and enjoys sharing recipes, trying new craft ideas, planning for parties and events as well as organizing and decorating. When she’s not blogging, preparing meals or picking up around the house, you’re bound to find her hidden away in a castle under the stairs reading to her two young boys. Whether you’re cooking, crafting or creating for your family, follow Carrie on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Instagram to get inspiring ideas for your home.