Slow Cooker White Bean And Ham Soup Recipe
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
What’s better on a cold day than hot soup? This recipe for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup will hit the spot after it’s been simmering all day.
If the weather outside is frightful, it’s time to make a full pot of Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup. It will warm you up on cold, snowy days.
Nothing beats a bowl of hot soup on a cold, snowy day in the winter. We were inspired to try this recipe for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup that we found on RecipeTips.com a few years ago. We’ve affectionally nicknamed it “Blizzard Soup” because the first time we made it we were enduring one of the worst blizzards our area has ever seen. The blizzard was so terrible, there’s actually an entire Wikipedia page dedicated it. That’s how bad the storm was.
You don’t need to be under high winds and heavy snowfalls to enjoy this Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup. We’ve had it on plain old regular winter days and it’s just as delicious and enjoyable.
What you need:
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Kitchen Tools Needed:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Onions, Medium Sized
- Chopped Garlic
- Ham Cooked and Cubed
- Diced Tomatoes, Canned
- Northern Beans Jar
- Chicken Broth, Reduced Sodium
Serving Suggestions for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup
- Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup can be prepared the day before and refrigerated overnight. It also freezes very well so you can save the leftovers for another day.
- We should also note, we chose to use cubed ham for the Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup because it’s quick and easy. The original recipe used ham hocks, ham shank or other ham bones instead of the cubed ham. That version also called for 2 bay leaves. If you try it that way, let us know how it turns out!
- Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup can be served with your favorite crackers and a side salad. It would also be wonderful with our recipe for Sweet and Buttery Cornbread.
What’s your favorite soup to make in the slow cooker on a cold, snowy day? Please comment below and share. We’re always looking for new ideas, especially ones that use the crockpot to make lazy snowy days easier.
Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup
- 1 cup Carrots
- 3/4 cup Celery
- 2 Potatoes
- 2 Onions Medium Sized
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Garlic
- 16 oz Ham Cooked and Cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 14.5 oz Diced Tomatoes Can – Drained
- 48 oz Northern Beans Jar – Drained and Rinsed
- 32 oz Chicken Broth Reduced Sodium
- Peel and slice the carrots. Rinse and slice the celery. Chop the onions. Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Place all of the vegetables in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add garlic, ham, cumin, pepper, salt, diced tomatoes and northern beans, then stir to mix them all together.
- Pour chicken broth into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours until potatoes are tender.
While you’re here, be sure to check out other soup recipes on Kenarry, like Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup or Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup. If you liked this recipe for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup, please share it with your friends or pin it for later.
This Inspired Idea for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup came from RecipeTips.com and was shared with their permission. Please visit their website to find more great ideas like this.
Inspired Ideas is a regular feature on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®, sharing ideas we’ve found from Pinterest or other online resources. The words and photos used in this post are our own, derived from our personal experience implementing this idea.
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
While you’re here, be sure to check out other easy dinner recipes on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- Shredded Beef Recipe: Easy Slow Cooker Tacos
- Slow Cooker Soup Recipes: 4 Delicious Ideas
- Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
Originally published February 2014. Updated April 2020.
My mom use to make this alot, I haven’t had this in a long time. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Retreat, Hope to see you back on Thursday.
I’m so glad you stopped by to comment — and thanks for hosting a great party. I hope to be back on Thursday!
Stopping by from the Saturday Dishes Blog Hop.. can’t wait to try this. I’ve never made beans and ham because it seemed like a lot of work. So glad to see an easier way without a ham bone! ~Happy weekend, Stacy @ Huddlenet.com
Thanks, Stacy! I’ve never actually tried it with the ham bone like the original source recommended, so I’m not sure how the diced ham changes the flavor. I just know we like it this way – it freezes great too!
I just came across this recipe. Really, if you use ham hocks and water, you don’t need chicken stock. Also, use dried beans for this soup. I understand having a quick soup in your recipe box can be a savior on a busy day, but really, try it with the hocks because the smoky ham flavored broth is far superior to chicken broth and diced ham.
Thanks for sharing your suggestions, Vicky!
This looks like a great soup recipe! Most of the white bean soups I’ve seen are so bland, but I love that yours looks flavorful, and I love even more that it cooks in the slow cooker!
Thanks for sharing at Saturday Dishes!
Thanks for stopping by today. The soup definitely is full of flavor. I think the chicken broth base helps with that. It freezes well too, Jamie! Enjoy!
I wanted to let you know that I’m featuring your recipe in a roundup of Budget Friendly Meals tomorrow as well! Thanks again!
Oh wow! Thank you so much, Jamie! You totally made my day. We’ll add a link to your story from our featured page.
What a great way to use up your leftovers, Sandra! Enjoy!
Haven’t tried white bean and ham together, but this looks delish. 🙂
Btw, thanks for linking with Let’s Get Real party!
Always need good crockpot recipes. Thanks for sharing it. Pinned.
Thanks, Erlene! So glad you pinned it too!
So glad you put this back out on social media. I missed it years ago apparently. My fav bean is the white bean and love love love me some ham. Perfect combo if you’re asking.
Thanks for sharing!!
You’ll love this recipe, Bobbie! Thanks for stopping by.