What’s better on a cold day than hot soup? This recipe for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup will hit the spot after it’s been simmering all day.
If the weather outside is frightful, it’s time to make a full pot of Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup. It will warm you up on cold, snowy days.
Nothing beats a bowl of hot soup on a cold, snowy day in the winter. We were inspired to try this recipe for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup that we found on RecipeTips.com a few years ago. We’ve affectionally nicknamed it “Blizzard Soup” because the first time we made it we were enduring one of the worst blizzards our area has ever seen. The blizzard was so terrible, there’s actually an entire Wikipedia page dedicated it. That’s how bad the storm was.
You don’t need to be under high winds and heavy snowfalls to enjoy this Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup. We’ve had it on plain old regular winter days and it’s just as delicious and enjoyable.
What you need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
Here’s what you’ll need from the store. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Onions, Medium Sized
- Chopped Garlic
- Ham Cooked and Cubed
- Diced Tomatoes, Canned
- Northern Beans Jar
- Chicken Broth, Reduced Sodium
Serving Suggestions for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup
- Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup can be prepared the day before and refrigerated overnight. It also freezes very well so you can save the leftovers for another day.
- We should also note, we chose to use cubed ham for the Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup because it’s quick and easy. The original recipe used ham hocks, ham shank or other ham bones instead of the cubed ham. That version also called for 2 bay leaves. If you try it that way, let us know how it turns out!
- Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup can be served with your favorite crackers and a side salad. It would also be wonderful with our recipe for Sweet and Buttery Cornbread.
What’s your favorite soup to make in the slow cooker on a cold, snowy day? Please comment below and share. We’re always looking for new ideas, especially ones that use the crockpot to make lazy snowy days easier.
Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup
- Peel and slice the carrots. Rinse and slice the celery. Chop the onions. Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Place all of the vegetables in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add garlic, ham, cumin, pepper, salt, diced tomatoes and northern beans, then stir to mix them all together.
- Pour chicken broth into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours until potatoes are tender.
While you’re here, be sure to check out other soup recipes on Kenarry, like Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup or Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup. If you liked this recipe for Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup, please share it with your friends or pin it for later.
Inspired Ideas is a regular feature on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®, sharing ideas we’ve found from Pinterest or other online resources. The words and photos used in this post are our own, derived from our personal experience implementing this idea.
While you’re here, be sure to check out other easy dinner recipes on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- Shredded Beef Recipe: Easy Slow Cooker Tacos
- Slow Cooker Soup Recipes: 4 Delicious Ideas
- Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
Originally published February 2014. Updated April 2020.