These Chocolate Cake Balls are made with crumbled cake and frosting, and then dipped in chocolate. They’re the perfect treat for the holidays or any time of year!
I’m Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen and I’m back for a festive holiday edition of Ideas for the Kitchen, a blog series where Carrie and I swap recipes once a month, like these delicious Chocolate Cake Balls.
For December we wanted to give you some easy ideas for holiday parties and get-togethers. December is such a busy month and I like to keep some easy recipes in my back pocket for holiday events. If you’re looking for something fun to bring to your next Christmas party, these Chocolate Cake Balls are it!
If you’re looking for Carrie, you can find her over on my blog today where she’s sharing her recipe for Peanut Butter Fudge.
I can’t believe Christmas is already right around the corner. This year has flown by and I’m just hoping that this upcoming year will follow suit. We’ve been away from family for the past three years out here in Hawaii. But next year we will finally be back on the mainland and I can’t wait! Christmas just ain’t Christmas without the ones ya love (or so the song goes). And I’m ready to finally spend it with our loved ones again!
Even with family all the way back home, we still have holiday get-togethers to go to. I always like having something simple to make. These chocolate cake pops do require a bit of time. But they are so easy to prepare that even the kids can help with the process. I like to make these year-round, changing up the sprinkles or decor to go with season or occasion.
What you need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Chocolate Cake Balls
To make it really easy, I put the entire recipe in the printable recipe card. Here’s a quick overview of what to expect before you start.
1. Mix crumbled cake and frosting
First, make your cake, let it cool, then crumble it. You can also save a ton of time and just buy a pre-made and frosted cake and then crumble all of that in a bowl together.
But if you want to make it all yourself, add the crumbled cake and frosting in a bowl and mix them up together.
2. Refrigerate the mixture
After you mix all that together, refrigerate for a bit, then roll into balls.
3. Freeze the balls and dip into melted chocolate
The next step is dipping them into the chocolate. Freeze the balls for an hour, then dip them in the melted chocolate.
I like to use short skewers to help dip my cake balls, then I let them set inside of a mug or glass. You have to make sure that your cake balls are frozen enough, or they will fall off of the skewers.
I take the cake balls out of the freezer a few at a time so that they don’t thaw out too much while I’m coating them. Add sprinkles while the coating is still wet. When you’re done, you have a super easy and yummy holiday treat!
This easy cake ball recipe is also the perfect way to use up leftover cake scraps from leveling or carving a cake or even slightly stale cupcakes. If there is such a thing as cupcakes that can sit around long enough to get stale. You may also want to check out our Easy Cake Pop Squares recipe if you want some delicious cake pops in a jiffy.
Do you have a favorite treat that you enjoy making for the holidays? Share your idea with us below! Carrie and I would love to hear about your holiday traditions!
Chocolate Cake Balls Recipe
- 1 18.25 oz package chocolate cake mix + ingredients to prepare cake
- 1 16 oz can prepared chocolate frosting
- 1 container microwave dipping chocolate or almond bark
- sprinkles for topping
- Prepare cake and bake according to package directions in a 9×13 inch pan. Allow to cool completely.
- After cake has cooled, use your hands to crumble the cake into a large mixing bowl. A fork can also be used to crumble large chunks. Make sure cake is completely broken into fine crumbs.
- Add 1/2-3/4 of the container of frosting, mixing with a spoon until the cake crumbs are coated. I don’t add the entire container because then the cake balls come out a little too mushy. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Melt dipping chocolate or almond bark according to package directions. Place a wooden skewer on the bottom of a cake ball and dip into the chocolate, swirling and then tapping off the excess. Place the skewer in a mug or glass (I used short skewers for this recipe) and immediately add sprinkles if using. Allow to dry completely. Repeat with remaining cake balls.
Looking for more holiday recipes? You might like these other recipes from Belle of the Kitchen:
And, be sure to check out these other delicious dessert ideas from Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- The Ultimate Chocolate Cake Recipe from a Box
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzels
- Chocolate Dipped S’mores on a Stick
- Christmas Tree Cake Dip
Originally published November 2015. Updated November 2019.