Create beautiful, realistic looking artificial potted plants with decorative pots, using dollar store items! These fun to make potted plants brighten up your home. Add inspirational words to your pots and make them unique!
Do you love the look of beautiful potted plants, but just don’t have a green thumb? This project brings to life some cactus picks and some dollar store supplies to create some beautiful artificial potted plants that will brighten up a shelf in your home. Plants that look so real, you might forget and water them!
This is Suzy from SuzysSitcom, and those that are familiar with me may know that my husband and I are currently living in a RV as we travel the country. RV’s are great for many things, and decorating them can be fun, but you have to keep in mind that anything you keep in a RV needs to be able to travel. Plants sometimes have an issue with that.
Of course, if you never remember to water them, they have an issue with that too! So this week I gathered some fun cactus picks and dollar store supplies and made my own artificial plants in inspirational pots. Want to know how?
How to Make Beautiful Artificial Plants
Artificial plant picks have gotten pretty amazing. You can find them in most craft supply stores and even at the dollar store if you look around. Go for something that looks real. These cactus picks that I found look so real that I hesitated touching them for fear of the prickling thorns!
The entire tutorial is in a printable card at the bottom of this post. But first, here is a little bit of info about the tools and supplies you’ll need.
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
What you need:
- Plant Picks (I used cactus, but any plant pick would work)
- Terracotta pots (any size)
- Acrylic Paint any colors (I used Sage Green, Cream, and Teal)
- 3D inspirational stickers
- Tacky Glue
- Aquarium gravel (small amount)
- Mod Podge (optional)
How to make Beautiful Artificial Plants:
Apply Dimensional Stickers to Pots
Choose a phrase or word from your three-dimensional stickers and apply to each pot. In my case, I chose the words LOVE, CHEER, and HELLO. I really liked the scripted font. I also added some of the stars.
Simply sticking them to the pots will work. They should adhere nicely.
Paint the base of the pots
Paint the Top edge of the pots
Use a contrasting color of acrylic paint to paint the top edge of each pot. You will need to do a second coat once the first one is dry.
Paint the dimensional stickers
You can leave the pot as is, or to bring out the wording of the stickers, add a touch of the contrasting color to the top edge of the words using a small brush. Finally, add a coating of Mod Podge to seal the paint. (Since you will not be watering the plants, this step is optional).
Planting the Artificial Plants
Allow the pots to fully dry before going to this step. And now the fun part begins! Choose your plant picks and let’s get started!
Push a piece of pipe cleaner or small stick into the center in order to preserve a space for your pick. Add a thick layer of tacky glue to the top of the styrofoam and then place a small layer of aquarium gravel on top, covering the entire expanse of styrofoam. (The glue will dry clear).
The final step is to remove your pipe cleaner place holder and push in your chosen plant pick.
The result is some beautiful inspirational artificial potted plants!
Here’s the printable card with everything you need to know about how to make Beautiful Artificial Potted Plants!
How to make Beautiful Artificial Potted Plants
- 3 each Plant picks any type of plant
- 3 each Terracotta pots any size
- 1 set Dimensional stickers
- 1 set Acrylic Paints
- 1 each styrofoam
- 1 ea tacky glue
- 1/4 lb. Aquarium gravel small amount
- 1 ea Mod Podge (optional)
- Add dimensional stickers to each pot.
- Use acrylic paint to paint the bottom half of each pot, being sure to cover all edges of the dimensional stickers. Paint two coats.
- Use acrylic paint in contrasting color to paint top edge of each pot. Two coats will be needed,
- Use acrylic paint in contrasting color and small brush to paint the top edge of each dimensional sticker.
- Allow paint to dry. Add a coat of Mod Podge to seal paint (optional).
- Push styrofoam into each pot, leaving about 1/2" at top.
- Push a pipe cleaner into center to reserve space for your plant pick.
- Add tacky glue to top of styrofoam in a thick layer.
- Add aquarium gravel over top of glue, being sure to cover all styrofoam.
- Remove pipe cleaner and push in plant pick.
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Love to Make DIY Home Decor?
If you enjoyed this DIY Artificial Plants project, then you may like some of these DIY Home Decor ideas on SuzysSitcom.com.
You may also enjoy these 3 easy craft ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –