A layer of tater tots topped with a creamy mixture, jalapeños and bacon create a delicious game day dish, Jalapeño Popper Hash Brown Casserole.
Nothing says gameday like a creamy mixture spread over a bed of browned potatoes, topped with jalapeños, cheese, and bacon. This simple Jalapeño Popper Hash Brown Casserole Recipe can be made ahead or on the day of the game.
Hey there Kenarry readers!! Trish here to share a simple game day recipe with you. However, you do not need to love football (or any sport) to love this easy recipe.
Imagine the union of jalapeño poppers and hash brown potatoes. Sounds good, right? Well, it is!! Jalapeño poppers and hash browns go together like jalapeños and bacon.
Jalapeño Popper HashBrown Casserole Recipe
Here’s how tips to help you make this incredible breakfast! You might even enjoy it as a snack or even lunch.
What you need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Kitchen TOOLS NEEDED
The entire recipe is in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. But here’s what you need from the store before you make it.
- Tater Tots
- Cream Cheese, softened
- Sour Cream
- Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese (cheddar & jack)
- Jalapeño Peppers, sliced or diced
- Bacon pieces (I use the packaged real bacon bits that are sold near the salad dressings at the grocery store.)
Tater Tots Substitution
If you don’t have tater tots, you can use frozen hashbrowns or even hashbrown patties instead.
Can you freeze this casserole?
Yes, you can make this ahead of time and store it, covered, in the freezer. When you are ready to eat it, just put it in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. Then heat it back up in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Jalapeño Popper Hash Brown Casserole Recipe
- 1 bag frozen tater tots 2 lb package
- 2 blocks of cream cheese 8 oz packages, softened
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese cheddar & jack, divided
- 1/2 cup jalapeño peppers sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup bacon pieces cooked
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly coat a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Add a layer of tater tots to the pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the tater tots are baking, mix cream cheese, sour cream and 1 cup of shredded cheese in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Spread the creamy mixture over the cooked tater tots then top that layer with desired amount of jalapeños.
- Evenly distribute the second cup of shredded cheese over the jalapeños then top the cheese with bacon pieces.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil then return the pan to the oven and bake the casserole for an additional 10 minutes.
More Recipe Ideas
If you enjoy casseroles, Carrie has a list of recipes for you! Follow this link to find a new favorite baked dish. And for more disappearing game day recipes follow my links below or click on the appetizers link on my website.
Cheers ~ Trish
While you’re here be sure to check out other appetizer recipes on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- Corn and Avocado Salsa Recipe
- Mini Taco Cups: Easy Appetizer Recipe for a Party
- Pepperoni Pizza Sliders
Originally published September 2017. Updated September 2019.