Sausage and Meatball Soup is a delicious family favorite recipe made with homemade Italian meatballs, smoked turkey sausage, vegetables and bow tie pasta in a chicken broth.
A few weeks ago, I shared my mother’s secret recipe for the best homemade meatballs. They are my most favorite food in the entire world. Every year I request her meatballs for my birthday if we’re celebrating together. This month, I turned 40 years old, so it seems only fitting then to wrap up my birthmonth by sharing another favorite way to enjoy her meatballs – Sausage and Meatball Soup.
Whenever I make my mother’s homemade meatball recipe, I bake a huge batch so I can freeze some to enjoy over the coming months. While most of the meatballs are the size of golf balls, I always make several dozen little meatballs to add to the delicious Sausage and Meatball Soup recipe I’m sharing with you today.
We started making this Sausage and Meatball Soup recipe a few years ago when we were trying to master the perfect Italian wedding soup. Only we didn’t stop there! We added sautéed red pepper and onion, carrots, celery and slices of smoked turkey sausage. (By the way, if you love smoked turkey sausage, you’ll enjoy our recipe for Easy Turkey Sausage Quinoa!) We also threw in bow tie pasta, though you really could use any shape pasta you desire. Sprinkle the whole thing with grated parmesan cheese before serving and you’ve got yourself your new favorite soup recipe.
Sausage and Meatball Soup in a Slow Cooker
Though the recipe calls for making Sausage and Meatball Soup on the stove, it can also be made in a slow cooker. Skip sautéing the vegetables and just put everything in your slow cooker, except the pasta and parmesan. I’ve even put the meatballs into the slow cooker straight from the freezer. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4 hours. About an hour before you want to eat dinner, turn the slow cooker to high and bring the soup to a boil, if possible. Then 15-20 minutes before dinner, add the pasta.
Sausage and Meatball Soup
- 1 Onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup Carrots peeled and chopped
- 8 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 20 small homemade meatballs See recipe.
- 13 oz package smoked turkey sausage
- 1/2 lb bow tie pasta
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese to taste
- Chop onion and red pepper. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add diced onion and red pepper. Sauté until the onions are translucent. (Approx. 10 minutes)
- Stir in 4 cups of the chicken broth. Add chopped carrots and celery. Bring to a slow boil, stirring occasionally.
- Slice the smoked turkey sausage about 1/2 inch thick and add to the soup.
- Pour in the remaining 4 cups of chicken broth and add the homemade meatballs. Return the soup to a slow boil and stir periodically.
- Boil the soup for 20 minutes or until the carrots and celery are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour pasta into the soup and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with grated parmesan before serving. Enjoy!
Serving Suggestions for Sausage and Meatball Soup
Sausage and Meatball Soup pairs well with a garden salad and a roll or two of whole wheat or garlic bread. It would also be delicious with Sweet and Buttery Cornbread. It reheats well to enjoy a day or two later, though I find the pasta soaks up a lot of the broth if you don’t mind a hearty, full soup. If you’d like to freeze the Sausage and Meatball Soup, I would suggest separating out the portion you wish to freeze before you add the pasta. Then when it comes time to have the Sausage and Meatball Soup you’ve frozen, all you have to do is thaw it, bring it to a boil, add pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes.
What’s your family’s favorite soup? Please comment below and share. We’re always looking for new ideas!
While you’re here, be sure to check out other soup recipes or pasta recipes on Kenarry. Some of our other favorites are Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup and Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup. You can also follow our Recipe Ideas board on Pinterest for more dinner inspiration. If you enjoyed this Sausage and Meatball Soup recipe, please share it with your friends or pin it for later: