This Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe is lightly seasoned and baked for a delicious side dish idea to go with any meal.
Up your green veggie intake! Enjoy this delicious Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe as an easy side dish to go with beef, chicken, turkey, fish or any meal.
The first day of spring is just a few days away. If you live in a cold winter climate like we do here in Michigan, you dream about spring for months and months. When I think of spring, words that pop into my head are fresh, light, new and GREEN! It could be because St. Patrick’s Day is tomorrow or perhaps it’s just because grass and trees are starting to turn green after the warm brown colors of fall and the cold, white colors of winter? Either way, I thought it was time to share a new spring recipe with you so it ought to be fresh and green too, right?
Each month, Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen and I trade recipes around a common theme. For March, we wanted to share recipes that made us THINK SPRING so we each created side dishes using fresh, green vegetables. While I was sharing this Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe on Ashlyn’s blog a few weeks ago, she was here sharing her recipe for Garlic Parmesan Roasted Asparagus. I cannot wait for asparagus season to start in Michigan so I can try it.
I think Brussels sprouts are one of those vegetables that gets a bad reputation. Kids and adults alike are quick to turn their noses up at the thought of having Brussels sprouts for dinner despite the fact that they look like cute mini cabbages. I mean, really, isn’t everything cuter in miniature form?
Maybe the bad reputation comes from soggy over cooked Brussels sprouts your mom forced you to eat as a child? You’ll find this Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe is nothing like those soggy veggies you remember. The outside of the Roasted Brussels Sprouts are crisp and the roasting process brings out a little bit of a nutty flavor that I think you’ll really like.
The health benefits alone make it worth your while to give Brussels sprouts another chance. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, “Brussels sprouts are full of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. You can count on Brussels sprouts to support your immune system, blood and bone health, and more. Eating just a few Brussels sprouts will give you plenty of vitamin C and vitamin K.” The article goes on to add that Brussels sprouts are also high in anti-oxidants and may help to prevent some common forms of cancer.
So what do you say? Ready to give this Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe a try?
It’s really easy to make this Roasted Brussel Sprouts recipe. All you need to do is wash and trim fresh Brussels sprouts, removing the outer layer of leaves in the process. Slice them in a half then toss with olive oil and some basic spices. Roast the Brussels sprouts in the oven until the outer layer is crisp and brown. That’s really all there is to it!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the Brussels sprouts, trim the ends and remove or peel the outer layer of leaves.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in half and place them in a bowl.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with olive oil and spices.
- Spread the Brussels sprouts in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring once about half way through the roasting time. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe Suggestions
As with all vegetables, the key to success is to make sure you don’t overcook the Brussels sprouts. While I’ve kept the Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe fairly simple, there are many ways you can modify it:
- You can cut onions into large pieces and roast along side the Brussels sprouts.
- Add cumin or a little chili powder to make them spicier.
- Use butter instead of olive oil to give the Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe a slightly different flavor.
- Crumble crispy cooked bacon into bits and mix in with the Brussels sprouts.
What’s your favorite way to prepare Brussels sprouts? Please comment below and share. We’re always looking for new recipe ideas.
While you’re here, be sure to check out other delicious side dish recipes on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry™ –
- Baked Cauliflower Poppers
- Simply Seasoned Roasted Potato and Onion Wedges
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
If you enjoyed this Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe, please share it with your friends or pin it for later: