Overnight oats are the breakfast craze that seems to be sweeping the nation. Hi everyone, I’m Lori from Greco Design Company and I wanted to share a recipe with you for these simple, healthy and delicious oat mixtures.
If you haven’t tried overnight oats or aren’t familiar with them, they’re oats soaked overnight that absorb the liquid you put them in. There is no cooking involved at all. They can be soaked in any type of yogurt or milk, but I recommend almond milk as my personal favorite. Just a few more ingredients, plus some added toppings to the oat mixture, create a delicious and healthy meal.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Kenarry: Ideas for the Home will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Recently we stayed at an adorable hotel on Martha’s Vineyard and they served overnight oats each morning. They were delicious – and filling! Since then I’ve made a few different versions and found this basic recipe is the perfect mix. This version is as simple as it gets: 7 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time the night before. Nothing fancy but these oat mixtures would impress anyone.
In addition to making my mornings a little easier and less chaotic, here are some of the many health benefits of overnight oats:
- Oat bran has a heart-healthy reputation as a cholesterol fighter.
- Chia seeds provide high fiber content, protein and antioxidant qualities.
- The process of soaking the whole grains (versus cooking them) helps produce digestive enzymes and mineral absorption.
- Refined carbs – such as pasta and potatoes can contribute to weight gain. But raw oats are different – they’re considered a resistant starch – In fact, I read that swapping just 5 percent of daily carbohydrates for resistant starch could boost the metabolism by 23 percent.
- Overnight oats digest very slowly and trigger the release of digestive acids shown to suppress the appetite and speed up calorie-burning.
- Adding healthy toppings such as blueberries (antioxidant) or peanut butter (protein) can contribute to the health benefits of these oat mixtures.
My simple overnight oats recipe includes the following 7 ingredients: plain, nonfat Greek yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, rolled oats, chia seeds, honey, vanilla extract and salt. Added toppings could include sliced banana, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or any fruit, granola, nuts, peanut butter, toasted coconut and chocolate chips. Yummy!
Print out the recipe below and try your own. I like to store them in small mason jars for easy eating. I think you’ll be surprised at how good they are – and how easy.
- ⅔ cup nonfat Greek yogurt, plain
- 1-1/3 cups almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3 Tbs chia seeds
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Toppings (optional): sliced banana, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or any fruit, granola, nuts, peanut butter, toasted coconut, chocolate chips
- Add all the ingredients except the toppings in a medium sized bowl.
- Whisk them together until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Spoon into jars with tight fitting lids.
- Set in the refrigerator overnight (or for at least 6 hours).
- The next day, open and enjoy as is, or add desired toppings.
- Overnight oats will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2-4 days, though best within the first 12-24 hours.
Thanks for following along. If you have any questions about this recipe or if you’ve made your own oat creations, I’d love to hear about it!
If you’ve enjoyed this overnight oats recipe, you might like to browse some of these other easy food prep ideas on Greco Design Company blog:
Lori is a freelance graphic designer living in the Boston area with her husband, their three kids and a yellow lab puppy. She started Greco Design Company in 2014 when she realized that her love for design was extending beyond the corporate advertising world and into all areas of her life. She shows us some unique but simple DIY projects, gives some great ideas for home design, provides her outlook on current fashion trends, and loves to do beauty and product reviews. She incorporates her graphic design background through her free printables, paintings, signs, art prints, invitations and stationery on her blog and in her Etsy shop. Lori believes in the importance of surrounding ourselves with good, purposeful design that can help streamline our lives and still be affordable. Her tutorials are easy to follow as she shows how you can make anything you set your mind to!