Homemade conversation hearts for the win. Be mine, Valentine – and here are some conversation hearts rice cereal treats for your enjoyment!
Valentin’es Day Conversation hearts
In fact, I was on the hunt for conversation hearts before writing-up my article on 5 Minutes for Mom. For the life of me, I couldn’t find any! I hunted around, drove around town… and absolutely nothing!
This is why I am on such a conversation hearts kick now.
How to make conversation hearts rice cereal treats
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Kitchen Tools AND SUPPLIES Needed:
- Baking Sheet
- Wax Paper
- Medium Sauce Pan
- Mixing Spoon
- Heart Shaped Cookie Cutter
- Small Cookie Cutter Letters
- Rolling Pin
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
Fondant Letter Tips
Working with fondant is not as intimidating as it seems. Here are a few tips to get these fondant pieces to cooperate with you as you whip-up these ultra-cute Conversation Hearts Rice Cereal Treats:
- Fondant feeling sticky as you roll it out? Sprinkle your counter and rolling pin with a touch of cornstarch. Stickiness, be gone!
- Make your own shades. If you don’t like the colored fondant available at the store, you can just color white fondant. I recommend using gel food coloring for the richer shades because they will not change the consistency of the fondant.
- Don’t forget that you’re working with rolling fondant – pouring fondant is a very different kind of fondant and will not work with this recipe. Rolling fondant mimics play dough; you can roll and maneuver it into your desired shape.
colored cereal treats
Of course, you can go with any color combination for these ultra cute cereal treats. I opted for purple rice cereal treats, but feel free to choose a different one! Personally, I would go for something very V-day-oriented: purple, pink, red, etc.
Just like when you color fondant, I highly recommend using gel food coloring when tinting your rice cereal treats. Continue reading below to get the technique!
My Conversation Hearts Rice Cereal Treats are really easy to make! I opted for fondant cut-outs to spell out some cute words. I am so eager to serve these on February 14th!
Conversation Hearts Rice Cereal Treats
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- One drop violet gel food colouring
- 3 cups rice cereal
- 3-4 oz. white fondant
- One drop red gel food colouring
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add marshmallows and mix.
- Once the marshmallows have completely melted, remove from heat.
- Add one drop of violet food colouring to the melted marshmallows and stir.
- Add rice cereal to the marshmallow mixture and fold.
- Spread the rice cereal treat mixture on your lined baking sheet. My trick is that I wet my fingers before spreading the cereal treat mixture to avoid any stickiness.
- Use a heart cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes.
- If you have any scraps left over, put them together and re-spread to cut out a couple more hearts.
- Allow the cereal treats to set for about an hour.
- Place one drop of red gel food colouring on your white fondant. Knead until the fondant is completely tinted.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the fondant so that it’s about ½ of an inch thick.
- Use letter cookie cutters to create words for your rice cereal treats.
- Press each fondant letter onto each heart-shaped treat.
- Serve and enjoy.
If you enjoyed these Conversation Hearts Rice Cereal Treats, please share this with your friends or pin it for later:
What’s your favourite Valentine’s Day candy/chocolate/treat?
If you liked this recipe, you’ll also enjoy these seasonal-friendly treats from Fabulous Habits:
You may also enjoy these Valentine’s Day treats on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –