This delicious homemade vanilla sandwich cookie recipe will satisfy all your cookie cravings! A delicious vanilla cookie surrounds a sweet frosting. Why eat a regular cookie when you can eat a sandwich cookie!?
Hi everyone, Amanda here from Old House to New Home, sharing a recipe for easy Vanilla Sandwich Cookies. These cookies taste like my favorite Nabisco vanilla sandwich cookies, and in fact, taste even better!
Cookies are one of those delicious desserts that always hits the spot. They are appropriate in every single season and for every occasion, so I am always trying to add to my repertoire of go to cookie recipes. I have lots of cookies that I like to make, but I did not have a go to sandwich cookie recipe.
After a little experimenting, I have come up with the perfect recipe. Soft and slightly chewy vanilla cookies are amazing on their own, but when they sandwich a perfectly sweet vanilla icing, you have cookie perfection! These cookies are so good that you could just eat the cookie, but I prefer them as sandwiches for sure!
How To Make Homemade Sandwich Cookies
These cookies may look intimidating, but even a beginning baker can make them! You probably have all the ingredients you need already in your pantry, too!
What you need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Cookie sheet
- Piping bag and tip
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
- Wire cooling rack
These are all easy ingredients that you probably already have on hand!
Vanilla Sandwich Cookie Tips:
Make sure your butter is at room temperature
If you forgot to take your butter out, you can speed up the room temperature process by cutting it into small cubes.
Butter that isn’t at room temperature will make your cookies dense.
How to freeze these cookies
If you want to freeze these sandwich cookies, I recommend freezing the cookies, unsandwiched, in an airtight container for 1-2 months. Then when you want to serve these cookies, unfreeze and then make the frosting and assemble. You technically can freeze frosting, but I really think it is better to make it fresh.
Sandwich Cookie Filling Ideas
I used a homemade vanilla buttercream frosting inside my cookies, but there are so many more ideas you can try. Be creative and have fun using different flavors inside your cookies. Here are a few popular ideas that I want to try next:
- Hazelnut spread
- Ice cream
- Cream cheese frosting
- Chocolate buttercream
- Peppermint buttercream
Vanilla Sandwich Cookies
- stand mixer
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until combined.
- Roll the dough into balls. Flatten the balls slightly. Place on the baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes. Let cookies rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, mix the butter until creamy and smooth. Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Using a piping bag or a spoon, frost the bottoms of half the cookies, then sandwich with another cookie.
If you enjoyed these Vanilla Sandwich Cookies, then you will love these easy dessert recipes, too!
You may also enjoy these cookie ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –