If you want a new and different idea for Taco Tuesday, give this slow cooker chicken taco soup recipe a try. It is a low-cost meal that will feed the entire family.
Hello, there Kenarry friends! I’m Rita Joy from Harbour Breeze Home, and I’m thrilled to be here today sharing my favorite new dinner recipe: slow cooker chicken taco soup.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry™ will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
You know those days when you just don’t have any time at all, but you still want to making something homemade for your family? This soup is perfect for times like that!
It is hearty and full of good-for-you ingredients. And it is literally as easy as chopping up the chicken and dumping the ingredients in the slow cooker.
Slow cooker chicken taco soup Ingredients
It requires just a few basic ingredients:
- 1 can black beans (19 oz)
- 1 can white kidney beans (19 oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 can corn (12 oz)
- 1 onion
- 2 cups chicken stock (I made mine with OXO chicken)
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2-3 skinless boneless chicken breasts
I discovered this new-to-me recipe online and modified slightly this recipe.
The assembly of this soup is quick & easy. Here’s how to do it:
1. Chop up the onion
Dice the onion and place it in the bottom of the crock pot.
Tip: To cut up an onion without crying, make sure you are using a super sharp knife. It’s the juices from the onion are what sting your eyes. If you can slice them without making the onions weep, you won’t weep either!
2. Dump all the ingredients into the slow cooker
Add all the rest of the ingredients including the beans (drained and rinsed), corn, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, and chicken stock, to the slow cooker. Stir together.
3. Add the chicken breasts
Place the chicken breasts on the sauce, and using a fork, press them down until the liquid is totally covering each of them.
4. Sprinkle salt, pepper and other spices
Add salt & pepper & extra spices for your family’s taste if you like things really spicy!
5. set the slow cooker and let it cook
Turn crock pot on low and cook at least 7 hours. This will make the chicken easy to shred.
6. Shred the chicken and serve
When ready to eat, take out chicken breast, shred with 2 forks, and add back into the soup.
The Best Toppings for Chicken Taco Soup
Serve with sour cream and guacamole or whatever taco toppings you like. We like ours with cheddar cheese, fresh tomatoes, and a side of corn chips.
Can you freeze this soup?
One of my favorite things about this soup is how wonderfully it freezes. You can literally prep this meal and stick it in the freezer. Then, all you have to do is take it out the night before, let it thaw, and then cook it in the slow cooker!
Here’s how to freeze this soup:
- Chop up the chicken and onions.
- Put all the ingredients into a large freezer bag (gallon size works best.)
- Label the bag with the recipe name and date.
- Lay the bag flat in the freezer. This makes it easier to stack.
How to thaw and cook the frozen soup:
- Put the bag in the refrigerator the night before.
- Pull the bag out and dump all contents into the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker and let it cook!
It will last 3 months in the freezer and still taste just as fresh and amazing.
Yummy!! ~And perfectly simple for busy days. Before you go, check out these other Easy Dinner Ideas!
Crock Pot Chicken Chili Soup
- 1 White Kidney Beans Can – 19 oz
- 1 Black Beans Can – 19 oz
- 1 Diced Tomatoes Can – 28 oz
- 1 Corn Can – 12 oz
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 package Taco Seasoning
- 1 Onion
- 2-3 Breasts Chicken Skinless and Boneless
- Dice onion and place in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Drain and rinse the beans and add to the onions, along with the corn, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, and chicken stock.
- Stir and add salt & pepper and additional seasonings if you want a spicier soup.
- Place the raw chicken breasts on top of the liquid, and using a fork, submerge the chicken under the liquid.
- Turn crock pot on low for at least 7 hours.
- When ready to eat, remove chicken breasts and shred with a fork. Serve with your favorite taco toppings and corn chips.
Here are some other recipes you may enjoy:
More Taco Tuesday Ideas
Need even more fun and festive ideas to spice up your Taco Tuesday? Give these recipes a try next:
Originally published October 2017. Updated October 2018.