These cute little dog finger puppets are a great idea if you need a themed party favor or a craft idea to make with the kids.
Hi everyone, I’m Sam from A Happy Home In Holland. And as always, I’m happy to be back to share another cute craft idea with you all here on Kenarry.
My daughter has just turned 7 in January and here in the Netherlands it is traditional to treat the other children at school with a ‘traktatie’ (small treat to eat or/and a little gift).
This year, as my daughter is crazy about dogs and was having a dog themed party I decided to go along the same theme for school too.
After a little bit of head scratching I came up with the idea of these super cute little dog finger puppets.
I thought I’d share this idea here as they are fun to make with the kids and also make great themed party favors. Not only are they cheap to make but really simple too.
I did use a sewing machine to make mine (I had to make over 30) but you can just as easily sew them by hand.
How To Make Dog Finger Puppets
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry™ will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
What You Need:
- Sheets of coloured felt
- Clear all purpose children’s glue
- Plastic googly eyes
- Matching coloured thread
- sewing machine or needle
- Printer, paper and pen (if you are using the free printable as a template)
1. Gather your materials and print out the free printable template (you can also do this free hand if you prefer)
2. Using the template provided cut all your pieces out (you’ll need two exactly the same for the head).
3. Place ears on between the two head pieces and sew together (obvious I know but remember not to sew the bottom bit). *Tip* If you are using a sewing machine it is easier if you slightly lift the presser foot as you are doing the rounded bit of the head.
As you can see by the pictures my sewing machine skills are far from perfect, but this really doesn’t matter. If you do go a bit wonky you can always trim the edges of the felt so it doesn’t look too uneven.
4. Now the fun bit! Now you get to give these little fellows a bit of personality! You can mix and match with the face pieces to give your dog finger puppets different characters. Once you have decided what is going where, simply glue them in to place.
5. If you are going to be using these as party favors, it’s a fun idea to use them as a topper on top of a treat.
- For the ones that I did for my daughter’s class, I used a long marshmallow (cut in two). The marshmallows I had were a bit fat to fit inside the finger puppets so I just pushed a wooden tapas stick halfway in the top then popped the finger puppet on top.
- You can use them as toppers for all sorts of snacks and treats; bread sticks, candy etc.
- I also managed to find these really cute little chocolate bars with bones on the wrapper (see below).
Needless to say these went down a storm! I displayed them in a pretty box and it was really nice to see all her classmates trotting out of the school happily playing with them on their fingers.
Here are some more fun kids ideas over on A Happy Home In Holland that you may like:
Sam is a British Expat who currently lives in the Netherlands with her Dutch husband and 2 beautiful daughters. Family is very important to her and she values all the little things in life which bring happiness. She adores good design, being creative, learning new skills and most importantly loves rolling her sleeves up and getting stuck-in with her latest DIY/craft project. Sam is also the creator and dedicated author behind A Happy Home In Holland which is a creative family lifestyle blog. Her passions are reflected in the blog where you can expect to find lots of home décor inspiration, beautiful DIY/craft projects and tutorials, family friendly recipes and fun activities/ideas for the kids.