Dog Finger Puppets: Party Favor Idea
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
These cute little dog finger puppets are a great idea if you need a themed party favor or a craft idea to make with the kids.
Hi everyone, I’m Sam from A Happy Home In Holland. And as always, I’m happy to be back to share another cute craft idea with you all here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®.
My daughter has just turned 7 in January and here in the Netherlands it is traditional to treat the other children at school with a ‘traktatie’ (small treat to eat or/and a little gift).
This year, as my daughter is crazy about dogs and was having a dog themed party I decided to go along the same theme for school too.
After a little bit of head scratching I came up with the idea of these super cute little dog finger puppets.
I thought I’d share this idea here as they are fun to make with the kids and also make great themed party favors. Not only are they cheap to make but really simple too.
I did use a sewing machine to make mine (I had to make over 30) but you can just as easily sew them by hand.
How To Make Dog Finger Puppets
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
What You Need:
- Sheets of coloured felt
- Clear all purpose children’s glue
- Plastic googly eyes
- Matching coloured thread
- sewing machine or needle
- Printer, paper and pen (if you are using the free printable as a template)
get the free printable dog puppet pattern
Exclusive for Kenarry subscribers, receive the FREE printable dog puppet pattern by signing up below. You’ll get the download link sent directly to your inbox.
All printables from Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® are for your own PERSONAL USE ONLY.
After you’ve signed up, watch for an e-mail to confirm your e-mail address and download the free digital printable. Plus you’ll have the opportunity to get the weekly Kenarry Ideas In Your Inbox newsletter, as well as product discounts, special offers and other content that is EXCLUSIVE for Kenarry subscribers only.
You can also join our Idea Insider VIP Club to get unlimited access to the full vault of unique and beautiful printables we offer to make gift giving, holidays and everyday life more special. A lifetime membership in our Idea Insider VIP Club is a great way to save time and money with easy access to hundreds of printable cards, tags, wall art and more right at your fingertips.
NOTE: This printable is not in the Idea Insider VIP Club. It’s available for FREE through the sign-up form above.
1. Gather your materials and print out the free printable template (you can also do this free hand if you prefer)
2. Using the template provided cut all your pieces out (you’ll need two exactly the same for the head).
3. Place ears on between the two head pieces and sew together (obvious I know but remember not to sew the bottom bit). *Tip* If you are using a sewing machine it is easier if you slightly lift the presser foot as you are doing the rounded bit of the head.
As you can see by the pictures my sewing machine skills are far from perfect, but this really doesn’t matter. If you do go a bit wonky you can always trim the edges of the felt so it doesn’t look too uneven.
4. Now the fun bit! Now you get to give these little fellows a bit of personality! You can mix and match with the face pieces to give your dog finger puppets different characters. Once you have decided what is going where, simply glue them in to place.
5. If you are going to be using these as party favors, it’s a fun idea to use them as a topper on top of a treat.
- For the ones that I did for my daughter’s class, I used a long marshmallow (cut in two). The marshmallows I had were a bit fat to fit inside the finger puppets so I just pushed a wooden tapas stick halfway in the top then popped the finger puppet on top.
- You can use them as toppers for all sorts of snacks and treats; bread sticks, candy etc.
- I also managed to find these really cute little chocolate bars with bones on the wrapper (see below).
Needless to say these went down a storm! I displayed them in a pretty box and it was really nice to see all her classmates trotting out of the school happily playing with them on their fingers.
Here are some more fun kids ideas over on A Happy Home In Holland that you may like:
Cooking With Kids – Dutch Mini Spice Cookies
Easy Kids Craft Idea – Paper Tulips
Healthy Kids Party Food Idea – Tulip Snacks
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
While you’re here, be sure to check out these other ideas for kids –