These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes With Bacon are about to become the star of your fall and holiday dinners. Everyone loves mashed potatoes and everyone loves bacon, so why not combine the two?!
Amanda here from Old House to New Home, sharing a side dish recipe that is about to take your dinner table by storm! I know a side dish is not supposed to be the star of the show, but this recipe for delicious Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Bacon deserves all the praise!
If you haven’t made mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot yet, now is the time! With the holidays coming up, we all need time and oven space savers!
I have had an Instant Pot Mashed Potato recipe on my site for a few years and everyone who makes them agrees, they are SO much better prepared in the pot. You can cook the bacon right in your pot too, so this is a one-pot side dish recipe!
What you need:
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Kitchen Tools needed:
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
WHy make mashed potatoes in the instant pot
There are so many reasons why you should try mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot but there are a couple standout reasons. First, the texture comes out so much better! They are incredibly soft and fluffy and melt in your mouth.
I also love that the recipe is basically hands off. No worrying about the pot boiling over on the stove. My absolute favorite reason though is that you can actually reheat these potatoes the next day. Traditional mashed potatoes heat up gluey and stiff the next day, but not these! Just as good the next day!
What type of potato are best for mashed potatoes?
Without question, yellow or Yukon gold potatoes are the best for making mashed potatoes. You can use other types in a pinch, but the tastiest mashed potatoes come from yellow potatoes. You could also substitute red skins for a fun twist.
Instant Pot Bacon Mashed Potatoes
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- 8 oz bacon diced
- 6 medium yellow potatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 heaping tbsp sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat Instant Pot to saute. Once it says HOT, add bacon and cook until crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While bacon cooks, peel potatoes and then cube into 1-2 inch cubes.
- Once bacon is crisp, remove from the pot and set aside. Leave bacon grease in the pan. Add the chicken broth.
- Turn the saute function off and switch to pressure cook/manual.
- Put cubed potatoes in your silicone steamer basket and set on top of liquid. Put lid on and seal. Set timer to 8 minutes.
- Let cook and then do a quick release. Remove potatoes and drain the liquid out of the pot. Dump potatoes back into pot and add butter, sour cream, and milk. Either use a potato masher for a chunky consistency or a hand mixer for a smoother texture.
- Add bacon back in and stir well. Taste and add salt and pepper. Serve immediately or turn pot to the keep warm function.
If you enjoyed these Instant Pot Bacon Mashed Potatoes, then you will enjoy these Instant Pot potato recipes, too!
You may also enjoy these Side Dish Recipes on Ideas from the Home by Kenarry® –