No dinner is complete without a delicious side dish. I can hardly eat a meal without something starchy, so this recipe for Homemade Scalloped Potatoes is a constant in my household.
Hello, everyone! Lisa here from Fabulous Habits – and I am thrilled to be back, posting here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry. I was part of the Kenarry team a couple of years ago, and I’m back more inspired than ever. I plan on sharing with you some of my best recipes and DIYs!
I’m all about using potatoes when it comes to completing a meal. They’re versatile and inexpensive. They also keep for a very long time, making them ideal for feeding larger families.
Recently, I put together a couple of servings of scalloped potatoes. My take on this dish is inspired by my husband’s childhood favorite, dauphine potatoes. Dauphinoise potatoes is a French dish consisting of thinly-sliced potatoes and cream.
Potato Slices for Scalloped Potatoes
Potatoes can take a long time to bake. Even on the BBQ grill, potatoes need some extra TLC to achieve the perfect texture. Your potatoes will cook faster if you slice them thinner.
What you need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Kitchen Tools Needed:
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
- Red potatoes
- Yellow onion
- Cheddar cheese
- Heavy cream
For my homemade scalloped potatoes, I urge you to keep in mind how thin you are cutting your potato slices. They should be about a quarter of an inch thick. This will ensure the perfect consistency for this cheesy and creamy side dish.
Garnish for Scalloped Potatoes
Scalloped potatoes are great when you garnish them with your favorite toppings. The possibilities are endless: additional shredded cheese, chopped green onions, etc.
Personally, I love adding a dollop of sour cream to my scalloped potatoes. It adds a cool, refreshing taste and gives it a bit of “oomph.” Plus, I sprinkle it with a bit of sweet paprika on top – I’m always up for some extra flavor!
Already In Your Pantry
What I love about these scalloped potatoes is that you most likely already have the ingredients in your kitchen. As I mentioned earlier, I always have a bag of potatoes since they keep for so long.
How to make the creamiest scalloped potatoes
I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as ours does! We seriously can’t get enough of it. It’s the perfect combination of cheese and cream – and the garlic and onion give it an extra boost of flavor.
Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 lbs red potatoes about 6 medium-sized
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese we usually use old-age and very strong
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
- Prepare your vegetables: slice your potatoes so that they’re about ¼ of an inch thick and chop onions. Place in separate bowls
- Peel garlic and cut in half. Use the exposed ends to coat your pan, including the sides of it. Take one tablespoon of butter and coat your pan, including the sides as well (I use a paper towel to keep things neat and tidy)
- Start your layer with a bed of potatoes. Next, add half of the sliced onions you have set aside. Add a layer of shredded cheese (a third of what you have prepared) and evenly pour half of your cooking cream. Sprinkle with salt and add a tablespoon of butter in the middle. Repeat for a second layer.
- Your final layer should only be a bed of potatoes topped with the remainder of your cheddar cheese.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes. Afterwards, remove the aluminum foil and bake it for another 10 minutes. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving and enjoy!
Did you like my side dish? If so, you gotta check out my other apps and sides! See down below:
You may also enjoy these side dish recipes on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –