We are nearly to Memorial Day and it is time to bring out all the red, white, and blue! Warm up on a cool summer night with these Patriotic Hot Cocoa Bombs! These are perfect for sipping while watching fireworks or after chasing fireflies!
Hi everyone! Amanda here from Old House to New Home, sharing a fun summertime drink recipe that you and your kids will love! These Patriotic Hot Cocoa Bombs are a fun red, white and blue take on the drink that took the world by storm this year!
Kids love these festive drinks! They also make fun party favors or activities to do together. The colors are perfect for any patriotic holiday.
I know we think of hot chocolate as a wintertime drink, but if you live in the North, you know that any day can be chilly, and summer nights are often cool! There is nothing like sipping on a warm drink, around the fire, with friends during the summer! So grab your hoodie and your favorite mug, and let’s make this fun treat!
Do you use TikTok? I am a little older than the average user, but I LOVE seeing the super creative foods that people come up with on there! It seems like once an idea goes viral, everyone is making it! First, it was the hot cocoa bombs, then the pancake cereal, and now the feta pasta recipe!
Cooking the “trendy” foods is a fun way to try new things, and my daughters love watching the videos and trying the new foods! These hot cocoa bombs were inspired by the fun swirled bombs on TikTok and I can’t wait to switch up the colors for all the seasons!
How to Make Patriotic hot cocoa bombs
Hot Cocoa bombs seem difficult, but if you can melt chocolate, you can make these! I was intimidated at first, but they really are fun and easy once you get the hang out of it!
What you need:
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Kitchen Tools Needed:
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
- Red, White, and Blue Candy Melts
- Hot Chocolate Mix – White Chocolate Mix Works Best Here
- Mini Marshmallows
- Red, White, and Blue Chocolate Chips, or these patriotic sprinkles
Patriotic Hot Cocoa Bomb Tips:
Melt chocolate in the microwave
Melting chocolate in the microwave is easy but there are a couple of important tips. Make sure to melt in increments so you don’t overcook. I like to do 30 seconds at a time, then stir well and cook again. Also, use a microwave-safe container. Glass works the best as plastic doesn’t conduct heat well.
Add chocolate to the molds
You will then add the melted chocolate to the silicone mold. You want to add a little of each color and mix- but don’t mix more than 4-5 times or you will make purple!
These Patriotic Hot Chocolate Bombs are such a fun way to celebrate the holidays this summer! If you aren’t a hot chocolate drinker, you can throw these in your coffee! I love doing that with a splash of Bailey for an adult version!
Patriotic Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Sphere Silicone Mold
- ⅔ c red candy melts
- ⅔ c white candy melts
- ⅔ c blue candy melts
- 6 Tbps white hot chocolate
- Red, white, and blue mini baking chips
- Mini marshmallows
- In three, small, microwave safe bowls, add your candy melts. Melt in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between. This should take between 60-90 seconds.
- Once melted, spoon about ½ Tbps of each color into the bottom of each half sphere mold. Using the back of a spoon, gently swirl the colors together to create a marble effect. Do not swirl more than 5 times as the colors will start to mix and change to a purple/brown. When you do swirl, be sure you reach the bottom of the mold. Spread to coat the sides of each mold. Let set in the fridge or freezer for about 10 minutes or until hardened. Reinforce the top edges of each mold by adding a little of the remaining candy melt with the back of the spoon. Let set until hardened.
- Gently remove from the silicone molds. In 6 of the empty halves, spoon 1 Tbps of the hot chocolate mix. Top with mini baking chips and a few mini marshmallows.
- Warm a small, microwave safe plate for 45 seconds. Place an empty half sphere onto the plate for a few seconds to let the edge melt to create a “glue”. Once the edge is slightly melted, place onto the corresponding filled half and match the edge. Run a clean finger around the edge to remove any extra candy melt and smooth the edge. Repeat with the remaining halves until all of the bombs are assembled.
- To make hot cocoa, place a cocoa bomb into the bottom of a mug. Pour 6 oz of hot milk or coffee over it. Once the shell melts, stir with a spoon to emulsify. Serve and enjoy!
- Storage: Cocoa bombs may be stored in an airtight container or baggie for up to 2 weeks.
Love the ideas you see here on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry®? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
If you enjoyed these hot cocoa bombs, then you will enjoy these tik tok worthy recipes, too!
You may also enjoy these fun dessert ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –