A super simple soup recipe, made with only a handful of ingredients, this Spicy Sausage and Orzo Soup is a delicious recipe that you will want to make again and again!
Hi! Amanda here from Old House to New Home, sharing a deliciously comforting, but couldn’t be easier soup recipe! With January in full swing and big snowstorms looming, I love warming up with a big pot of soup! I have been on a sausage soup kick and this recipe is definitely my favorite!
A 30-Minute SOup
While most soups require a long simmer to develop full flavor, this soup only needs about half an hour, which makes it perfect for weeknights! The base of sausage, onions, and garlic add tons of flavor to this tomato broth-based soup.
I usually make chicken-based soups, but was in the mood for something different! The tomato sausage adds richness and flavor to this soup and I think I am officially a tomato broth soup fan!
How to Make spicy sausage and orzo soup
This soup recipe seriously couldn’t be any easier! You brown your sausage, add the onions and garlic and let cook. Once that is all tender, you add the remaining ingredients and let the orzo simmer until tender! So simple! Serve with sandwiches or fresh crusty bread, and you have an easy meal!
What you need:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® will make a small commission at no additional cost to you so we can keep the great ideas for the home coming your way. All opinions expressed are derived from personal experience.
Kitchen tools Needed:
These are the ingredients you’ll need. All the exact amounts are in the printable card at the bottom of this post.
- Spicy Italian sausage – you can use mild if you want, but the flavor is incredible with the spicy sausage.
- Orzo pasta – Rice or quinoa are both substitutes for orzo.
- Tomato sauce
- Chicken broth– Chicken stock works too, it just has a bolder flavor.
- Yellow onion – Any type of onion will be fine in this soup
- Garlic cloves
- Baby spinach – Use fresh, don’t substitute with frozen or canned, it isn’t the same.
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder – If you use garlic salt, just use less table salt.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes
- Olive oil – You can use any oil you want. Other people use avocado oil or even vegetable oil.
Can you freeze this soup?
This soup freezes well in an airtight container, for up to one month. You can also freeze the soup without adding the orzo. When ready to serve, defrost soup and heat in a soup pot. Add the orzo and let simmer until ready to eat.
Can you reduce the spiciness in this soup?
We love heat in our food but you can definitely reduce it in this soup recipe. Substitute mild Italian sausage for the hot and omit the red pepper flakes if you do not like spice!
Spicy Sausage and Orzo Soup
- Soup Pot
- Add oil to a soup pot and heat to medium high heat. When hot, add sausage and onion. Cook until sausage browns. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stir to remove anything stuck from the bottom.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for spinach and parmesan cheese. Cook over medium heat until orzo is tender, stirring frequently.
- Once orzo is tender, add spinach and parmesan cheese. Stir well. Taste for seasoning and add more if desired. Serve hot.
Check out more delicious soup recipes!
You may also enjoy these soup ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –