This chicken taco soup is lighter on calories but still full of flavor! Packed with chicken, veggies, and beans, it’s a great recipe to keep you on track.
Happy New Year Kenarry readers! I’m Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen and I’m back to celebrate the new year with you in a healthy edition of Ideas for the Kitchen, a blog series where Carrie and I swap recipes once a month. Since so many of us set goals for a healthier start in the new year, Carrie and I decided to give all of you some lightened up recipes to get started on the right track. Today I’m sharing this Chicken Taco Soup, an easy dinner recipe that’s lighter and tastes good, too!
If you’re looking for Carrie, you can find her over on my blog today where she’s sharing her recipe for Slow Cooker Turkey with Garlic Mashed Cauliflower.
My Favorite Skinny Taco Soup
There are lots of things you can call this. Skinny taco soup. Lighter taco soup. Low-Carb soup.
All the names just tell me one thing – it is incredibly delightful and comforting without adding extra calories. Your family won’t even miss the carbs!
Taking Care of Yourself Is So Important
While making good choices when it comes to food and taking the time to exercise regularly usually get all of the attention, don’t forget to take care of yourself emotionally, too. Make sure to take the time and do a little something for yourself each day. Less stress = better health, and that is my number one goal this year!
What Is In This Taco Soup?
The entire recipe is in the printable card at the bottom of this post. I filled my soup with hearty whole ingredients. You can change things up and add your favorite taco toppings and veggies too.
- Bell Peppers
- Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Broth
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Green Chiles
- Ranch seasoning mix
- Black Beans
How to Make this a Keto Recipe
If you want to modify this recipe and make it Keto-friendly, here’s how you do it.
- Take out the corn.
- Make your own ranch seasoning mix.
That’s it! Some people don’t like to eat beans while on Keto, but that is entirely up to you and your personal diet. This is already a very simple and low-calorie soup that you don’t have to do much to keep it keto-friendly.
Enjoying this simple soup for dinner is a great way to meet your healthful eating goals. It’s full of chicken, veggies, and beans, plus it’s packed with flavor thanks to the taco and ranch seasoning. You can have this on the table quickly too, which is always a plus when it comes to family meals.
Do you have a favorite healthy dinner recipe? Share your ideas with us below! Carrie and I would love to hear what keeps you and your family on track! Happy healthy New Year everyone!
Lighter Chicken Taco Soup
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Medium Onion diced
- 1 cup diced bell peppers any color (I used red and yellow)
- 1 pound chicken breasts chopped into small pieces
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 packet dry ranch dressing seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and cook onions and bell peppers over medium heat until slightly tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add in the chicken, and sprinkle with taco seasoning and ranch seasoning. Stir and cook mixture until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, green chiles, black beans, and corn to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for 10 more minutes to allow flavors to blend. Top with avocado, cheese, and cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
Looking for more healthy recipes? You might like these:
While you’re here, be sure to check out these soup recipes from Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup
- Meatball Soup with Smoked Sausage and Bow Tie Pasta
- Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup
Originally published on January 2016. Updated January 2019.