Salty, sweet, crunchy and delicious, this New Year’s Eve Party Popcorn is simply decadent and so easy-to-make!
Whether you are planning to ring in the new year with a huge celebration or a quiet evening at home with family, New Year’s Eve party food doesn’t have to be complicated. Popcorn is an ideal party food because it’s easy to make and loved by all ages. And with a little bit of melted chocolate and a mixture of colorful sprinkles, you can turn regular popcorn into a rocking festive treat!
How to Make NEW YEAR’S EVE PARTY POPCORN
This sweet and salty New Year’s Eve snack is so easy to make, you could throw it together right before your party starts. And because it’s so quick and simple, you could easily make more if you run out during the party (which is likely, as it’s so yummy)!
Another fun idea would be to put this popcorn in treat bags for people to take home to enjoy on New Year’s Day!
What you need:
Want more ideas like this? Subscribe today to get our weekly Ideas in Your Inbox newsletter plus other exclusive gifts and offers — all for FREE!
Kitchen Tools Needed:
- Cookie sheet
- Silicone baking mat or wax paper
- Microwave-safe bowl OR double boiler OR candy melting pot
There are no special or hard-to-find ingredients needed to make this easy party food. To save even more time, consider using already-popped popcorn (the complete ingredients and instructions are listed in the printable recipe).
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips (or candy melts)
- White chocolate chips (or candy melts)
- Silver and gold sprinkles
- Gold star sprinkles
- Black sprinkles
Making this delectable popcorn takes just minutes, and it is so easy a child could do it. You simply pop and salt the popcorn, melt the chocolates and drizzle them over the popcorn, followed by the sprinkles. It can be ready to go in less than 15 minutes!
Tips for making and storing party popcorn
Here are some handy tips and tricks on making and storing this New Year’s Eve Popcorn.
chocolate melting tips
Melting chocolate is easy once you get the hang of it, but if you’ve never done it before, it can be tricky. Here are some tips to help.
- You can use a microwave, a double boiler, or an inexpensive candy melting pot to melt the chocolate chips. My personal favorite way is the melting pot as it makes melting the chocolate a breeze, and it’s also handy for dipping.
- Whatever method you use, only heat the chocolate just enough so that most of the chips are melted, but not all. As you stir it, the heat of the chocolate and the bowl will finish melting it.
- Stir, stir, stir.
- Avoid contact with water or steam as this will cause the chocolate to seize and become unworkable.
- Always melt the chocolate slowly and over low heat as it can become lumpy or even grainy if overheated.
- If the melted chocolate is not thin enough to drizzle, add a tiny bit of either Paramount Crystals or Crisco. Always start with a tiny amount and add more if needed.
- If you don’t have success with chocolate chips, try using bakers chocolate, almond bark, or even candy melts instead.
How do you separate the unpopped kernels?
Before you add the melted chocolate, you want to make sure there are no unpopped kernels in your bowl. The chocolate will cover the hard kernels and could chip a tooth.
The best way to remove the unpopped kernels is to take your freshly popped popcorn and toss it in a large bowl. Give the bowl a gentle shake. The hard kernels should settle to the bottom of the bowl.
Now, just scoop the popped popcorn with a measuring cup and place them in another bowl. Be careful to only scoop up the popcorn from the top, leaving the bottom ones alone.
How Far Ahead Can You Make Party Popcorn?
This festive popcorn can be made one day ahead of time, but it should be stored in airtight containers to preserve freshness.
How Long Does Party Popcorn Last?
New Year’s Eve popcorn tastes so good, it’s hard to imagine that you’d have any left. And while it definitely tastes the best right after it is made, it will keep for up to one month as long as it is stored in an airtight container.
New Year’s Eve Party Popcorn
- 8 cups popcorn already popped
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Silver and Gold Sprinkles
- Gold star sprinkles
- Black sprinkles
- salt to taste
- Pop the popcorn. Salt liberally.
- Spread popcorn in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, double boiler, or candy melting pot, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips, stirring until smooth.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate all over the popcorn, then quickly add the gold stars and the silver and gold sprinkles before the chocolate sets.
- Now melt the white chocolate chips, again stirring until smooth.
- Drizzle the melted white chocolate over popcorn, then add the black sprinkles before the white chocolate sets.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill until the chocolate has completely set.
- Remove from the refrigerator and break up into pieces to serve.
If you enjoyed this New Year’s Eve Party Popcorn then you’ll enjoy these other fun and festive party treats, too.
You may also enjoy these festive dessert ideas on Ideas for the Home by Kenarry® –